Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Help diagnosing a transmission problem!

Shad

Just had a troublesome journey back from Silverstone. I have a 6 speed gearbox and had a couple of occasions where I came to a roundabout and couldn't select any gears at all. Eventually after some jiggling it freed up and I could get a gear. I've limped home, changing down gears is usually ok but going up is usually problematic, either stiff or blocked. Clutch bite is ok but clutch is on the way out, not anywhere near as grippy as it used to be and the first inch of travel is much more spongy/springy than it was a few months ago. When the lever is in neutral it is still dragging a gear quite often so the car creeps forward while making the usual lay shaft rattle a bit more loudly (if that makes sense!).

I really really really hope it's the clutch, but I'm also thinking it could be a selector fork or the linkage. Can anyone help me diagnose this please??!! *smile*

Cheers

Simon

niknak.org

It's a 2002 car, 1.6 K-series Supersport, 6-speed from factory, cable clutch.

My dad and I are both thinking selector fork(s) but who knows... either way it all needs to come out, which could be fun in our single garage

Edited by - Shad on 25 Jun 2008 17:36:10

When the lever is in neutral it is still dragging a gear quite often so the car creeps forward
When this happened to me the gears had started to "pick-up" on the main shaft. All sorted by R&R but box has to come out for this.

If the clutch fork was bent I don't think you'd get "drive" in neutral.

However it could be a combination of clutch/fork/gearbox problems all at once I suppose.

If it's any consolation this was my 1st introduction to removing an engine.

Good luck.

Problems changing up but not changing down does not sound like a clutch problem, that would more likely be the other way around.

Anyway, regardless of whether it's gearbox or clutch its an engine out job, and since you suspect the clutch anyway it would be a good idea to replace it anyway as well as sorting the gearbox.

I've had a failed clutch do this. The springs were falling out of the plate, I thought diagnosis was likely to be a problem! Eventually i couldn't select any gear other than first and had to pull it out of gear once I got home to avoid rearranging my back wall in the garage.

I'll be happy if I never have to take an engine out again. What a nightmare. There was much swearing at the stupid stock manifold, the stupid Apollo tank and the stupid alternator.

Anyway it's all out now. There's very little meat left on the clutch and the springs are all lose. The CRB spins freely but there's a lot of play, and the clutch fork looks ok (no obvious bends in the wrong places or cracks).

So do I send the gearbox off to R&R or just get a new clutch and CRB and cross my fingers? *confused*

Simon

niknak.org

How many miles (road/track) has the gearbox done? I reckon it's clutch/crb replaacement time and the gearbox is fine.

You could give R&R a call and talk about it with them. Very helpful people.

If you decide to let R&R look at it why not make anappointment for them to do it while you wait. I watched my gearbox completely stripped, cleaned, new synchros and rebuilt in 2 hours. Fascinating to watch an expert at work.

Steve.

Sussex (West) AR

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear

It's covered just over 30k miles, I've done about 500 miles of track use this year and umpteen more 'spirited' road miles. I am doing about 1000 miles a month with the car at the moment though, 8k since November *redface*

Anyway I will speak to R&R tomorrow and see what they think. Quite happy to wait around while work is done, it's a long trip for me so would be the sensible option *smile*

Cheers

Simon

niknak.org

• 2 weeks later...

Phil had an idea what the problem was when I described it over the phone and said they would happily take a look. Dropped it off yesterday and sure enough, it required a new main shaft, second gear and a few syncro rings and bearings. They turned it around inside the day which is absolutely fantastic, and it was cheaper than I expected too, so another very satisfied Road & Race customer here!

Just got to put it all back together now... *smile*

Simon

niknak.org

Indeed, always a silver lining *smile*

Just goes to show, get your gearbox serviced. If I'd have had it done when I bought the car it would have been ok. The piece that failed is some kind of spacer ring, really cheap and something they replace as part of a service. When it fails 2nd and a hub thing (technical term) start to get too hot and weld themselves to the mainshaft!

Regular service every winter from now I think *wink*

Simon

niknak.org

• 1 month later...

Just got around to cleaning the broken bits that I salvaged from the gearbox. The damage is really clear to see, a surprising amount of material has been worn away and there's quite a bit of discolouration on some of the surfaces so I guess it was pretty hot in there...

Knackered hub thingy

2nd gear, quite a bit of wear on this side

Other side of 2nd

Very badly worn face

They two bits together do make quite a nice desk tidy though *cool*

Simon

niknak.org

Redline MTL, which I'm now avoiding on the advice from R&R.
Interesting - as MTL used to be the flavour of the month & recommended by R & R. My box was using Castrol when I had my big problem, but is now using MTL. MTL does result in a nice fluid shift though.

So why is MTL verboten now?

Redline MTL is a suitable oil for manual transmissions with synchromech. That is what it is specifically designed for. The recommendations here and elsewhere are based on the fact that it works and gives good gearshift quality.

Any confusion which seems to have crept in is because (unconfirmed allegation) there seems to have been some batches of MTL which "may" have had GL5 additives blended in by mistake.

The extra slippery GL5 stuff for high load applications is not good for synchro rings. They cannot "bite" through GL5 oils and therefore skid and then over time start to polish up. If a driver persists with the condition hoping it will bed-in it will only get worse. Once this has happened the synchros need replacing.

If you put MTL in your gearbox and the synchros work then it's ok.

If GL5 was in your 'box, you would know in just a few miles, even the first time up and down the 'box, if you had poor synchro performance. If you drain oil and fill with GL4 straight away there would be no damage done.

If you had a race car and the first time you really got to use a freshly rebuilt 'box was at a race meeting, by the time you've done practice/quali the synchros could be goosed.

I think R&R may be leaning to the side of caution and recommending alternative oils with which no such post-rebuild problems have been apparent to them.

One such oil would be the Comma Caterham recommended manual transmission oil.

On the very day I changed my gearbox oil to MTL I was in conversation about gearbox oils and heard of this issue. Consequently I was very careful to feel for any lack of synchro performance. I was fully prepared to dump the freshly filled oil at the slightest hint of a problem. As it turned out, I found no problem on the initial drive after the oil change nor in following days. I have now covered about 1200 miles since including hundreds of gearchanges on my Alpine blatting this summer and gearchange is really sweet.

Key thing is the correct GL4 grade.

Hope this helps...

Peter

6SpeedManual *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much BHP per Ton 😬