Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K Series Starter Motors

F355GTS

There has been much comment about the failure of these items due to failing connections on the solenoid etc. Mine failed while in Imola and on it's return I managed to repair it with a solution that I believe will last for a substantial amount of time and for a very small amount of money.

Does anybody have any failed items out there that I can look at to see if the failures are all the same?, if they are I'll gladly repair them.

Assuming the faults are the same and the repair proves to last I'll post the procedure here

Mark

Mark, I'm not too sure if the comments are relative but...

During the winter rebuild I replaced, using Redline Components, the starter motor. This worked fine for running up oil pressure and starting the car... until the car was hot. At which stage, whilst it kicked in, it appeared to have insignificant power to kick over compression - allow 10-15 minutes for the engine to cool and it would spin perfectly.

After 100 miles, I ended up at Redline and guess what...the car would not start. Redline, kindley removed the starter and replaced it (all free of charge - I'd only bought it as a part) but the next time I was in there, sure enough it failed to start until it had sat for 10 minutes or so - after which, it fired up with no problem.

To re-cap, cold engioned ,warm engine... no problem but a hot engine is a no, no.

Is this the problem you are playing with? I'm due on the RR next Thursday and there is not point in making the trip if the starter fails to turn on command.

JH

John

Certainly one of them, I've yet to establish if the failed solder joints are the cause of the failing when hot 9can't see that there would be that much expansion of the joint even at trackday temps) however it does (did) appear to be the case with mine. I've got one of Peter Duce's in the oven at the moment (don't tell the missus!) to see what effect the heat has after I have repaired it. Peter has one of the older? solenoid on top ones that I repaired yesterday which he is going to test for a while inc using it for a trip to France.

I'll let oyu know the outcome of the oven test!

Mark

I like the idea of car parts in the oven... brings back memomiers of my teenage years... waiting for mother to go off to the shops so I could heat up a head to remove valve guides.

Regarding the cable ties, have been there... done that, etc.

JH

I've encountered hot-starting problems on my 1.8SS over the last three years. There were two main causes: (1) a dry joint where the lead attaches to the solenoid housing (fixed under warranty by Caterham, who removed the terminal and soldered in a fly lead for a spade connector), and (2) a baked solenoid copper "core". I fixed this by removing the starter, stripping down the solenoid, removing the baked-on crud from the core, lightly greasing with LM, and reassembling. It now works faultlessly every time!

Oh, and as for ovens... That brings back memories of heating up two-stroke motorcycle crankcases to release the main bearings (but only when Mum was out, naturally!).

JV

Edited by - John Vine on 9 Jun 2002 16:03:01

This seems to affect most K series from time to time. I've had it happen with both types of starter & I'm now on the geared starter with the solenoid underneath. Last night after a spirited drive back from Sky Pilot's BBQ I couldn't start the car to drive into the garage. 1 hour later & all I could get was a click from the solenoid. This am started 1st time, went for a 50 mile drive, no problems even starting when hot. These intermittant problems are a big pain in the **** but I think John V may have the answer as the core gets stuck as the temp goes up. Is this your opinion Mark or are there other problems as well?

Mick

Edited by - Mick Day on 9 Jun 2002 17:38:35

Mick et All

I've repaired 4 so far

3 of the 4 had failed or failing solder joints, one broken wire inside solenoid, one broken wire to brush in the starter and very gummed up solenoid piston.

Unfortunately on the geared type the solenoid is a sealed unit, you can remove the piston and clean it/ the bore and re-solder and clean the connectors but there's little else you can do

The one I tried in the oven (Peter Duce's second one) worked fine when baked for over 1/2 hour at 130 degrees, mind you perhaps I should have basted it smile.gif. This one had a loose solder joint on the larger connector on the back of the solenoid and a dirty piston.

Mine will be tested at Brands GP circuit and Kemble airfield the week after next. I'll let you know how I get on

Mark

Mark,

I have 1 starter motor that has failed and another on the way out...

Mine both seem to fail in a similar fashion :-

1. Hot day and very hot engine

2. High pitch whirring stops ie starter motor becomes more and more laboured when trying to turn the engine over

3. Complete failure some weeks after

I was assuming that they might be failing becuase of the proximity to the exhaust headers and the fact that some of the heat-proofing has come off.

I would be most grateful if you could take a look...the last one cost 250.00!!