Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Hoses

Eric McLoughlin

No, it's not a Two Ronnies sketch.

One of my radiator hoses split spectacularly yesterday causing people to rush for their sandbags as the road started to flood.

My car is a 1996 1600 Crossflow.

Are the hoses fairly standard for these as it looks a fairly easy job to do - even for someone as inept as me when it coimes to matters mechanical.

Where can I get a set? I've tried my local auto factor but they don't keep them in stock.

*wavey* The last time I saw a hose burst like this the thermostat had jammed shut. The second hose also split in dramatic style as well. Best to check when you replace the hose.

Good Luck

On a similar thread what's the thinking on silicone: is it just for posers or is it worth the extra? I've heard they can be difficult to seal as well.

The reason I ask is that I had to replace the block (thermostat) to heater bypass hose (k series) as it had started to split after only 2 years! 😔

Edited by - Mick Day on 24 Jun 2008 17:50:05

Having lost of my coolant I found tht all my circlips were loose on my nice blue hoses fitted last year.

i don't know if it is the hoses or clips....... or me that I should be pointing a finger at, but, the rubber hose clips are tight still!

Something to be aware of?!

Silicon - no contest! But then I would say that. 😬

I have never had any difficulty in getting them to seal. You need to be aware that after fitting and running up to temp for a while, you will need to just tweak the clips up a bit and thereafter you shouldn't have any problems.

If you need a hand Eric, remember I'm just around the corner and as Mick says, it is worth checking the thermostat, especially on a 12 year old car. I've got a spare in the garage I don't need if you want it. Might be a good idea to change anyway while the system is drained down. *thumbup*

I would go for the silicone set as i am on my 3rd set of the rubber ones in 2 1/2 years, and this set already look to be cracking.
So it's not just me then. Strange that the hoses I took off the car 2 years ago when it was rebuilt were the originals from 1994. I still have them as spares & not a crack in sight. The new ones appear v soft & of inferior quality.

So the next set will be silicone then.

If you get Silicon hoses, as I'm about to, then get the right clips. Ideally they need to be smooth inside and have bevelled edges. You shoud find as I have that they sell the hose kit and a corresponding clip kit. *thumbup*

VX HPC - Loud and proud here

Watch out, whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly

Being a cheapskate I've opted for the rubber hoses and ordered them online from Caterham. Delivery should be within 5 days - they say.

The rubber on the old hoses certainly looked rather "crumbly" so I reckon they had just come to the end of their useful lives.

The next question is, do I take Brent up on his thermostat offer?

You'll kick yourself if you don't and the engine overheats when you have the system filled up with fresh coolant.

Not wishing to be a doom monger but...................................... *wink*

Seriously, it's a 10 minute job to whip the 'stat housing off, clean up the mating surfaces, fashion a new gasket using gasket paper (which I also have) and bolt it back on, using a bit of sealant. Job's a goodun! *thumbup*

Give me a call or nip round (No 57)