Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Apollo tank - again?

deanteam

I have trawled through past postings and could not find the answer to my questions,

Where is the restriction that controls the amount of air/oil bled to the top of the engine?

What is the best way to shorten the pipe from the tank to the top of the engine?

Thanks for any replies.

I have a background reason for asking the questions in this way, because we were supplied the kit complete from a main Caterham dealer. He is now critising the installation and claiming that the small hose has been changed for an 'ordinary clutch pipe'. I wanted responses to help resolve the issue.

The restriction is the tiny whole in the fitting that the braided hose fits on to.

These hoses can be dismantled and shortened, just cut the plastic pipe and braiding, but it can be a fiddle to get the braiding back in.

HTH

Lawrence

My one has the restrictor on top of the apollo, and the hole is a pin hole size, if you shorten the hose it will not affect the restrictor, if the restrictor is missing lots of oil will be pumped direct to the cam cover and bypass the galleries sad.gif

Lawrence

Lawrence, thanks for the time and interest, I am going a bit around the topic because of past problems with this type of situation on this site..

The car was second ( or third) hand and had ca 20k on the clock, 1.6K series, recently purchased. We decided to fit an Apollo due to the oil frothing issue when using the car for long periods at high load. The tank was fitted and as expected we lost some oil pressure. The car was bought with some garantee and it was back at the dealer for this work. His opinion is that the car has run a bearing due to the low oil pressure due to fitting the apollo tank where the feed pipe to the engine has been replaced by an 'ordinary clutch pipe'.

We did not replace the pipe, we used what was there.

I am trying to establish if the restrictor can 'fall out' during fitting and exactly where it is in the pipe/tank.

1) The restrictor is the union that fits into the top of the Apollo tank which has two threads. One that has a crush washer fitted on it and goes into the ali can. Care to be taken as the steel thread can strip the ali can one if care not taken. The other end has a finer thread to take the return air/oil line.

2) This clutch (?) pipe (return air/oil) is in fact a front hydraulic brake hose pipe! These are supplied by 'Think Automotive' in Isleworth.

They can be shortened etc but normally by carefully fitting the excess amount of pipe can be slightly looped down to take up the slight extra length.They are not excessively long as standard; maybe 15-25mm.