Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

What spares do you carry?

RobP

I have just bought a 1.6 supersport, and was wondering what spare bits and bobs people carry. So far I have a spare wheel & jack, and a can of tyre-weld as I am really lazy anyway. What else should I carry for basic/common repairs on the hoof?

Thanks for the help

Rob

I carry a dry sump belt,clutch cable,exhaust rubber mount and a tin of tyre weld (no spare) along with a few tools and some cable ties.

I have not needed a thing yet except a welder would have been handy when my exhaust broke at a sprint!

James

An RAC membership card, a can of tyreweld (I have no spare) and a mobile with lots of sevening friends in it.

I usually have the toolbox in the boot - but thats as much because i live in a flat and don't have a agarage / shed to keep it in otherwise.

On a long trip (eg to France/Scandinavia etc) I take, oil, coolant, tools, bulbs. Lots of other sevenrs obn the trip with me carry the usual cables (throttle and clutch both seem vulnerable) so i carry beer tokens for them smile.gif

Dave Hooper - North London

dmch2@lineone.net

Rob,

From experience, a spare sump and 5l of castrol RS can come in handy.

(and spare ammo for the bonnet mounted rocket-launcher - essential for the A303 bank-holiday shed-draggers!!!)

Alternator belt*

Oil pump belt*

Fuses

Ignition relay*

Spark Plugs*

Bulbs

Tyreweld (no spare)

Oil

Really you only need oil, fuses, bulbs and tyreweld, but my car uses a number of non-automotive belts, and spark plugs that cannot be bought in any motor accessory shop......(even DT don't sell them!)

Most important thing is breakdown cover. Using Mondial Assistance, I have found the 1st vehicle to come out is a flatbed which is generally what is needed if much is wrong. You really don't want AA or RAC man putting their tintop knowledge to your pride an joy, never mid the hour wait between motorcycle. van,. specklift and finally flatbed, the latter being the only suitable vehicle to recover a Seven.

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM siteid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Edited by - Fat Arnie on 3 Jun 2002 11:27:11

I carry the usual jack, wheel brace, various fuses, 1 x accelerator cable, 1 x clutch cable, cable ties, roll of PVC tape and (importantly I think) a photocopy of the car's wiring diagram from the build manual.

Oh, & just to be sure a warning triangle that came free with some oil a while back!

The clutch cables on certain k-series cars can enter the pedal box at such an angle that the nipple is twisted with each and every clutch application - they can fail quite rapidly. SOme cars are better than others.

The throttle has no stop at the pedal end - which saves on adjustment, but cables can fail after lending the car to someone who deploys insensitive leadfootedness.

It is embarrassing to lose either of these without a replacement to hand.

Peterid=teal>

253 BHP K-seriesteeth.gif, no gearboxbum.gifid=red>

A rear Axle / A frame bush is only realy need for live axles though. On a Dedion they'll do 24,000 happily. I changed all mine then as I was stripping the car anyway. The dedion ones also need a press to reomved / press them home. I believ the Live axle one can be done easily by the side of the road.

Dave Hooper - North London

dmch2@lineone.net