Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

O/T odd tyre wear on a 3-series BM

MartinWoodham

My wife's car - E46 BM 3 series tourer (that's the shape before the current one - 54 plate) has just suffered a blowout on a rear tyre, luckily at low speed.

I haven't seen the rears (swapped before I got back to the UK last night) but the fronts are apparently showing the same wear - pretty much consistent wear right across the tread, well short of the wear bars with perhaps 3-4mm, but the inside shoulder worn right down to nearly nothingness.

The rear has visible negative camber but not what I'd call excessive - I've not measured it but visually it's less than the 3 deg or so on the front of my caterham. The front doesn't appear to have any neg camber at all.

I've not checked the toe.

This is a road car that does reasonable mileage, mostly on dual carriageways, and I can't understand why all 4 tyres would have such an extreme wear pattern. The previous set just wore normally across the tread, and the tyres are so low-profile that any un-owned-up-to indiscretions by my wife would be visible on the rims.

Any ideas?

Martin

supersported ex-Roadsports B

Would normally be excessive camber as you state.

Worth checking the wheel alignment. If the bushes are shot, you could have excessive toe out, but that would normally give you a feathered edge to the tread pattern.

My E46 tourer does not show any unusual signs of wear (fitted with 205/50R17's).

I have heard the bushes can be a bit dodgy though.

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

all kinds of issues with these on suspension. Bushes at the front

can be shot, balljoints too. Either could cause your problem. Car needs retracking if you replace either. NB: Rr trailing arm bushes may also need replacing.