Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Number Plate Question?

cskip

I need a new set of legal number plates urgently (for MOT) next week. I want the plate to be made exactly to the letter of the law, but also don't want a large amount of advertising space!

The Registration is CSK 1P. My calculations are that the number plate can be 330mm long (excluding the GB blue bit which I want included for travelling to Le Mans!). E.g.

/ C S K 1 P /

(mm) - 11+57+11+57+11+57+33+14+11+57+11

How big is the GB part of the plate? Can the first 11mm be remove if the Gb bit is added?

Does anyone know if my calculations are correct and whether this is legal? And where can I get these plates made up, given the DVLA's current clamp down?

Clive.

Crossflow - Loud and Proud!

Clive

Sorry to say it but if you want to be technical , a number plate reduced in size in any way is illeagal. It should also have kite marks and all sorts of other rubbish, but I would be very surprised if an MOT tester would complain as long as the letters are full size. ( I've got two sets ,one for MOT's and one for the rest of the time)

CHRIS

cskip

I toyed with the idea of chopping down the number plate on REV 7K. It has a few inches sticking out either side which I keep catching when I put the hood up or down. In the end decided to leave it full length as the only time a copper might pick up on it was if I'd been stopped for doing something naughty. Didn't want any extra hassle seeing as I already have a stick-on plate on the nose.

The guy who made the plate said the soon the plate makers telephone number would also have to appear on the plate. If any spacing or dimensions were wrong they'd give the plate maker a hard time too. I was thinking of having white letters on a black plate as the reg. is from 1971. Plate maker refused. Car is from 1989 so has to have current type.

In my opinion best not to give the old bill any excuses. They are generally a nice bunch and have been let off with a slapped wrist in the past. One day that might not happen.

AMMO

Still illiegal but why not take the bs code which appears at the end of the plate and ask them to print it on the plate above youre registration as an extra as they print on the makers details below this, it is easily done as the plate is printed out and will not be an illegal request, then if you wish take off any spare plate at the ends with a hacksaw leaving a gap from the last number to the edge the same amount as the gaps between the letters, this will remove the bs code but you have repeated this above th plate centre.

This plate should be neat and tidy and draw little attention and making for a slightly more aerodynamic front end. If you ask for a GB plate you will have your letters centered and you will not be able to do this.

Se ethe plate on my website -its legal.

Search the archives for V796 which is the document to whihc pre Sept 2001 registered cars must comply and you will find lots of information posted by myself.

FWIW many police cars have illegal plates as the plate makers name is not displayed.

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM siteid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

I cut the excess off either end of my plate, but the letters and spacing are correct. I figured that since I see so many blatently miss-spaced and ambiguous registrations around here then it would be a sad copper who pulls me for mine. I'm sick of seeing things like "11" but with a black dot in the middle to make it look like an "H".

Also, there are a lot of cars around here that have blue lights set in their windscreen washers. You then get a glimpse of a blue light in you rear view mirror and think that it's a police car. I thought that it was illegal to display a blue light on your car?

size of the plate is not an issue - and as far as I can see not regulated. I always trim the excess off mine.

Sad copper? I've seen them on their hands and knees with a rule, measuring motorcycle plates. I wonder who calibrates their measuring equipmentquestion.gif

Cut with a hacksaw! Are you madquestion.gif Obviously never worked with plastics before and used to splits and cracks.wink.gif

Steve B

My local MOT man told me that the plate maker's name was only mandatory on 2001-on cars. He also told me that my lettes were illegally spaced, but told me he wasn't going to fail me on it...he recommended getting a set of plates for MOTs.

Like I say chaps, V796 is the DoT document and regualtion on this subject for any car registered pre 1/9/2001. Lets not diversify into inaccurate opinion here.

For clarification V796 gives minimum border sizes around characters (i.e. trim lines if you cut the plates down)

It details character spacing (and is particulalry open to interpretation as to how wide the space for a "1" should be)

It detail the stroke width of characters (the width of the vertical lines forming the characters)

It gives no indication as to the defenition of "makers name" - be it sole trader, ltd co, corp or "entirely ficticious company"

Finally it makes no reference to the tolerances on any of the dimensions......... heres your carte blanche should you need it.

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM siteid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Edited by - Fat Arnie on 3 Jun 2002 11:20:15

Thanks for the info.

Now the important question. Where can I get my places made up? Have tried a few local places and they refuse to do a non-standard plate for fear of what the DVLA might do. Most are hiding behind - "My computer won't do that!". Even when I explain that I want completely legal plates.

Any suggestions? I'm in a hurry as I need the places for an MOT on Saturday!

Clive.

Crossflow - Loud and Proud!

The current numberplate regs are here

here

If you have number plates made up now they will be legal, if you cut the ends off they will remain legal so long as they still have the BS AU 145d on them and the makers name and postcode. If cutting the plate short removes the BS marking, then I would suggest you write it on the back of the plate smile.gif.

You will not be able to incorporate the GB and shorten a legal plate.

There are numerous sign makers that will make you up signs that look remarkably like number plates. mostly found in motorbike mags smile.gif

Lawrence

Edited by - lawrence_z on 3 Jun 2002 12:48:25

The reason we hide behind our computor only does legal plates is the fact we get asked so many silly questions that it is easier to just say that, end of conversation.

Plates are mostly made of PERSPEX and are easy to cut with a saw or as I did with a electric saw.

Look at Arnies site as he has gone into all the legalities of the laws reference plates.

Not offended, just saying why you may get a blank look from number plate makers 1 because they have not got a clue or 2 to much hassle to explain all the time the rules etc.

The new rules have been set for a number of reasons like a lack of plates on cycle carriers and trailers and to stop people moving numbers and letters but it is unfare the goverment charge a fortune and advertise plates tempting you to play about with them.

I got mine done at Motoworld (I think they are a chain so may have several branches?).

They had the 'rep' from the supplier do it when he called in, but they were classed as 'Show Plates' as used by car dealerships etc.

Ian - MI 5EVN

I did mine on Paintshop. Mirror imaged the result (flip horizontal?) and then put one of the old stick on number plate backings thro the bubblejet upside down. This prints the mirror image onto the backing paper, cut this out with a scalpel and it leaves you with a yellow or white backing with holes through it. Stuck onto a carbon nosecone or rear wing and, Robert's your father's brother, you have a yellow/white "background" with carbon letters.

Looks so good I even impressed myself.

Shame they've stopped selling sticky on backgrounds this year.

I haven't bothered writing on the manufacturers name and postcode as they're blatantly illegal on size and font anyway. Got thro at least 5 MOT's though.

Also be carefull if you want to transfer your registration to another car (this also applies to a personal plate on your tintop) often as part of the transfer process the donor vehicle has to be inspected at a local vehicle licensing office, - (every time in my case).

You have to book the inspection, when you turn up at the allotted time they then refuse to carry out the inspection (just checking chassis numbers) if your number plate is illegal or misplaced.

Mine had too big a gap between the groups of letters, it was the same plate that they had inspected twice before but no dice now, had to run down the (very busy on inspection day) motor shop & get new ones made.

The best place to find a plate maker for dubious fonts / sizes etc are in the back pages of motorcycle magazines or at car shows .

Mine raised a smirk from the bloke when I asked for 11" x 2" teeth.gif

I've been stoped once , and the officer asked me in a reasonable manner to change them - I was gonna suggest they shrunk in the wash and are proportional to the car .... I've also been done on a speed camera with them . So they are visible .

dave