Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Can you bump start an R500?

Howard Dawson

i gues it will be slightly harder to start because of the higher compression compared to a less tuned engine.

This brings up another pint -what gear should you start it in? reverse is the lowest gear so would be easiest. but i've heard tell that such a low gear puts big shoulck loadings through the engine / transmission and that 2nd is ideal.

Obviously this all depends on gear etc but what is the consensus?

Dave Hooper - North London

dmch2@lineone.net

2nd seems about right in mine. In first, it brings the car to a standstill rather too quickly. That said, on one of the Sevens List meets I started it in reverse on the slope in a gravel car park - it just made things easier to try first before begging for a push (sick k-series starter motor syndrome!)

Peterid=teal>

253 BHP K-seriesteeth.gif, no gearboxbum.gifid=red>

ah phew! I did wonder if I'd committed some terrible sin smile.gif I've jump started mine in reverse before when i've parked on a slope. It started in about half a car length!

But yeah - 2nd does seem better when getting pushed as long as you have sufficient willing Crossflow owners to push you! teeth.gif

Dave Hooper - North London

dmch2@lineone.net

I suspect that if you asked Minister they'd say 'no'. If an engine fires but doesn't start when being cranked the starter motor takes the pain, when you're bumping it there's no give and bad things can happen. But mostly with old fashioned ignition systems, or badly mapped modern stuff. This is a well known issue with BD and Hart engines where the cam belt can jump, causing valve piston contact and a much bigger bill than a starter motor.

But with a fancy modern engine you'll probably get away with it. Use a tallish gear, perhap 2nd or 3rd and just lift the clutch very briefly, don't roar off leaving your 'pushers' flat on their faces, or allow the speed of the car to drop much. Using a tall gear will prevent it just locking the rear wheels. A starter motor cranks at less than 200rpm, 20mph/1000rpm is a good top gear. That's 200rpm at 4mph, a likely pushing speed....

Paul