Click here if you are having website access problems ×

95RON or 98RON?

Red SLR

Hi,

I bought a P Reg 1.6ks.s. from Caterham in Caterham in May and asked this question.

The book says 98 but the guy at Caterham told me he'd had 6 supersport cars for the road and had only ever used 95 ... with no problems.

I've seen quite a lot of correspondance on this topic on this site. It seems that 98 is recommended if you're really gunning the engine regularly (ie track).

I've had no problems up to now on 95 (crossed fingers etc now I've said that) for my Sunday afternoon jaunts around the country roads (although it's fair to say I've never really given the car a good thrashing for any length of time as my bottle goes WAY before the car's engine is too hot ! That & the fact that I'm worried about MR PLOD & his Gatso's).

Is their a definitive answer to this one ?

Cheers

Steve Campbell

P889 GRR

Thanks - I thought the recommended was 98RON.

It seems most people use 95 for road and 98 for track.

Is there a big difference between the 2?

Thanks

Simon.

MR Clam usually has something to say about this sort of thing.

X777CAT

It should be noted that there has been a change to the RON rating of Super unleaded since the introduction of LRP ,both types are now 97 RON . plus the 4 star that is being sold through Thrust garages ( see THRUST web page ) is now rated as 99.8 RON .

I have been running my 1.6SS on both super and Std , I am unable to notice any difference in performance or response . But I still use super for trackdays , sprints and thrashing around - just in case of any pinking which I am unable to detect by ear .

Dave .