Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Just a quickie...wing piping....?

captain chaos

Not being party to what you've seene on caterhams' site I don't know how daft this is as suggestions go but here goes anyway. Two piped bits on my car

1) Wheelarches

2) Stainloess arch protectors

Don't suppose your short length is this short? i would imagine these are the two lengths you're seeing

Roger,

I was thinking that but the lip that you bolt thru on the wings I have, particulary on one, is not at 90 deg and will bot fit flush to the panel. I was afraid if I bolted it tight It would crack. With the wing in place, the lip points away from the panel and leaves a good 4mm gap. I thought that the rubber beading would help fill it. I didn't spot the potential error because the wings went straight from CC to TSK for painting.

Guys,

I put new wing piping on my car last winter and I must say that with the new piping the fitment of the wings on the body (especially the flared wings on the front) is better than before. Probably the material lost flexibility over the years.

A tip : I cut "V's" in the piping to get the right curves but all the bolts are going through holes in the flat section. It was a hell of a job to get the holes in the right place but the result is immaculate.

To my opinion the piping is necessary on road cars to get a good finish and hide faults on the edges of the GRP wings.

Jack Flash

The piping around the sill and the knee panels is smaller width with no ridges. The wheelarch stuff has ridges to keep it in place. The V cuts help to form a curve but rather than lining up holes for the bolts, cut out a rectangle instead of a V. There is no need to hold it in place with the bolts IYSWIM as the longditudinal ridges do the job *thumbup*

Jamie *cool*