Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brakes

Davey Bee

OK have now got big power but now need to stop it, I have AP four pot front brakes with standard rear. Just ordered AP master cylinder need to get brakes nice and firm what else should I do.

Buzzin' Beeid=red> cool.gif cool.gifcool.gif

I`ve got big brakes all round on mine with the standard master cylinder and they are brilliant. MOT time can be a drag, with the weedy little handbrake calipers, but it never fails. I believe caterham sourced the hanbrake calipers from a go-kart, but couldn`t swear to it. The pedal feel is the best I`ve felt in a Seven and would have the big back brakes for that alone.

Deeps smile.gif

Deep down you know it makes sense.idea.gif

Have to agree with Deeps....the big rear brakes do make a huge difference, both to the pedal feel and the ability to shed speed ridiculously quickly.

As for pads...usual religious war will probably follow, there are lots of comments in the archives though. I'm running Pagid RS14 at the moment all round, and am very happy with them, both on road and track - also there appears to be minimal wear on them after 2,500 miles including two track days - yesterday's session was very heavy on the brakes.

Miraz

The uprated master cylinder has a bigger bore than the standard one, so it moves less, but makes the pedal pressure higher. This can give the impression of having no brakes. The way to fix this is to run a higher friction pad - Pagids being the most expensive and best. I ran the standard master cylinder with big brakes all round and this was an excellent combination. I wouldn't go near green stuff if I ever used the car on a track.

Peterid=blue>

eek.gifSecond loser, Class 5, Curborough May 2002id=red>

No production Seven except the JPE. VX racers and SLR racers came with anything but std rear brakes. The uprated rear caliper upgrade was deleted some time ago from road cars as the handbrake functionality was so questionable.

An extra big "big rear brake kit" exists for the SLR racer for around £900 - no handbrake though!

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM siteid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Green stuff have been reported time and again to turn to dust under track usage (especially at the rear) - generally considered to be inappropriate and sh1te.

FWIW Mintex 1144 had problems in my rear calipers so I went to Mintex 1155 all round which worked very well in big brakes.

My recent change to race master cylinder has been accompanied with a change to higher friction Pagid pads, so the bite and pedal weight are very similar to the Mintex set up, but the pedal travel is less.

Peterid=teal>

253 BHP K-seriesteeth.gif, no gearboxbum.gifid=red>

Edited by - Peter Carmichael on 4 Jun 2002 10:39:36

Davey

I'm running

Uprated Master Cylinder

4 Pot AP/ Caterham fronts

Standard Rears

Mintex 1155 Pads

Brakes are awesome for both road and trackdays, wear is good on the pads, done 3 trackdays now and 2,000 road miles with approx 25% wear

Mark

Depends on what tyres your running as well, greenstuff will be ok on normal road tyres, if you're on yoko 032r's or something similar then they will overheat but should last a few track days. If you're on ACB10's then they probably won't last the day!!

I'm running a 1700SS with ACB10's and using Redstuff pads, they are overheating (lots of dust on the wheels) but last 3-4 track days on the front and a 5/6 on the rear.

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Edited by - rgrigsby on 7 Jun 2002 15:49:57

My brakes are std except for 1144's and uprated master cylinder. They have a great feel and bite especially when warm. However they can get a bit vague when very hot - has anyone tried grooved and/or drilled std discs and would these help? (1.6KSS)

James