Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Blackbird V8 ??

Marius

For those of you who are interested in the Blackbird-7-way, there´s an interesting site in Germay of a technican, who has buildt an aluminium-V8, using two motorcycle-heads. The engine is already running and puts out about 320BHP at 9.800rpm, has more torque than an Vauxhall 16v and weighs just 102kg.

http://home.t-online.de/home/Konst_K/motor.htm

hi marius

about 5 years ago - russell savory of HCS sold light car company about 5 of these or very similar engines - 2 yamaha 1000 FZR engines joined together - figures then were 300 bhp@10250 rpm/ 172ibs torque at 7000 rpm/160ibs weight/cost then was £13k +VAT

light car company were to use them in a still born successor to the rocket - with a rather pretty barchetta body.

why do i know all this sad info? - 5 years ago went to see light car company and saw this new car with engine installed. turned up in a x/flow 7 i had at time and longingly stared at engine untill chris craft explained that with a proper gearbox etc - the conversion cost would be many times what i paid for my car - still we can dream

i do not speak german so what i want to know is has this guy actually put this engine into a 7?

- i believe they or chris craft may still have one of engines

regards ross

Really interesting web site that - at least I assume it is, can't actually read it. Love the idea of mega-tech mini V8. Bit like a mini-slice of F1 on the road.

I still like the idea of fewer, larger cylinders though. More grunt, less scream. Motorcycle journalists are once again raving about the latest Triumph Speed Triple - top-end similar to a four, with some of the gutsy torque characteristic of a twin. Fewer bits and pieces = simpler and cheaper too.