Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

blown apollo tank hose

Tin Man

• Area Representative

Just arrived home via the RAC. The top 1/2" hose on the tank had blown off & pumped the oil out. I stopped within 25 yards so I am hoping the engine is ok. This is an manufacturing fault so I will be ringing Caterham in the morning. Has this happened to anyone else if so what was Caterhams response? What checks can I do on the engine before starting it again. can a new fitting be attatched to the hose or will I have to fit a new one.

Thank you

Tin Man,

How long has the tank been in the car?, Did you fit it or Caterham?

Curious to know as i have an apollo tank, and i am always checking the oil pressure, As it varies between 2 & 4 bar. I wasn`t too happy with the fitting kit that came with the tank, touch wood [my head] all is well and the thing stays together.

Kiwi.

• Area Representative

Spoke to Simon Lambert today & they will forward a new hose. I will need to remove the sandwich plate to get the old hose off. Should be good fun trying to get it to seal again. I have just bought some new oil & I am hoping the new hose arrives tomorrow.

Kiwi,

It was a componet failure, nothing to do with the fitting.The tank was fitted 6 months ago.

PC,

Thanks for the advice. I assume an electical feed to the injectors? what sort off oil pressure should I get?

Thank you

• Area Representative

I have checked the oil level today & it shows about 4mm on the dipstick. I have also found the cause of the failure. I found part of the fitting on the road & compared it with the others. This one has not been crimped at manufacture!!!!! I am hoping a local hydraulics company can crimp one on for me which will save taking off the sandwich plate.

Edited by - Tin Man on 1 Jun 2002 13:05:31

I too wasn't happy, but my concern was with the way the fittings were made with steel fittings into an ali tank.Too easy to get a bit thread-strip-happy! I ended up using JB Weld (sort of steel type Araldite) to bond in the fittings as once they are in they don't need to be removed. Only the pipe unions need ever be removed.All worked well. No leaks.

By the way, pipework for the Apollo tank is made by 'Think Automotive' in Isleworth so I'd call them if it is actually one of the pipe end fittings that has given way.