Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Black lab puppy

McBreadhead

Thanks for link.

Sorry, but what is a good hip score - they seem to vary from 2:2 to 7:6 and the like?

I am new to dog ownership (and really enjoying it) but it's my partner's mutt that is now sadly missed ☹️ so I am new to the lingo.

McB, in Retrievers of all types including Labrador Retrievers the hip score is really important and is an indication of how well formed their hip joints are. Retrievers can have serious problems if their hips do not form properly or are damaged by over exercise when young. The hip scores are done for each leg, so 2:3 is 2 on the right leg and 3 on the left leg, the lower the score the better. Other things to look out for are elbow dysplasia and eyes. These scores are normally quoted for the parents rather than the puppy and are the best indication of the condition of the puppy. Puppies cannot be scored for these until they are at least 12 months and it is not usually done unless they are to be used for breeding.

A reputable breeder will have the parents scored before breeding and will have it ready for you to inspect. My advice would be to use the kennel club to look for registered breeders rather than use one out of the paper, you will probably pay more but stand a much better chance of getting a good dog.

Happy hunting.

Graham.

R7 GPK

Superlight #85

Only to add... 9 is a reject, 8 is just a pass. Genetics are the only game in town but there is always movement. I would recommend no hip of the four (two per parent) scoring higher than six, as this allows a degree of movement.

Remember, hip score is of little use unless both parent have been done!

Sorry I can't help but we only breed in the cooler months - for last litter, see here

Only added to wind Angus up...

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine

I forget to post on bc that we have a new yellow lab pup now 12 weeks old and bloomin cute. I always said over my dead body and its me or a dog but swimbo won 😬

I have a quick question on hips for doggy xperts on bc. We met mum and dad and both had 3 hip scores but how much excercise is too much for a pup?

We have a big garden and a beach 1 minute away so walks are easy and the pup swam in the sea on his first trip out of the garden so very keen but how do I avoid over doing it?

Will

PS I never thought I would feel this way as haven't wanted a dog since I was a kid but boy are they great even when it rains and I can say well it's your dog wifey.