Click here if you are having website access problems ×

NEW SHOCKS!

New7er

just back from a quick blat to clear the cobwebs and the fns spax is definitely showing signs of wear. The front is squirrelling around and its verging on the dangerous. A quick visual shows some probable leakeage at the top so time to replace. But what with? What is the best value option for a mostly (so far only) road car that is a 1989 bog standard 1700 ss dedion in all respects? Same Spax as now, Bilsteins or Leda? Can I do the front two now and replace the rears at some other time. I understand that its best to do two if one needs replacement. Can the Spax be repaired even. Certainly the adjustable facility is useful for different journeys. Just me and I harden it up for the lanes. If the wife sould venture near I soften it and stick to the A roads, most impressive for just a couple of clicks with a screwdriver! So pundits, what do you recommend please?

New7er

I went for the Leda's. Although I bought mine direct from Leda, not JW. They give a fantastic ride, especially with the rose jointed rears. My mate bought the AVO's, which are cheeper, and can be valved to whatever you want, not quite as good as the Leda's but better than Spax. That is more due to the development James W did with Leda to get the correct valves. If you get the valving right for the Avo's I doubt on the road whether you will find much difference.

Dampers are important,but ride and handling are goverened by many factors.

You can change one axle at a time, I did the rears first. Must admit, once I got the setting right, the only time I harden them up, is on the track, never on the road.

Eager to hear all your thoughts on these. Can't adjust my rear spaxes as the screw is seized, but softening the fronts doesn't give understeer but a fantastic ride, better than my SAAB 93, and tons better than an Elise.

Dave Robertson

So how much are shocks, Good adjustable ones?

I need to replace mine as they are on the way to shock heaven.

My brother in law is fitting Nitron to his 7, but he has bucket loads of money.

I have thimble loads so limited budget.

Kiwi.