Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Is anyone using an SV DeDion tube on a non-SV car?

k80rum

Thanks Gary. Just found his post from a while back in fact - yep. SV tube and driveshafts with MOG wings and ali inserts.

As an aside, I've heard a 'metal inserts' mentioned a few times in relation to wider wings. Can anyone explain why they're needed and where they go? I wondered if they went between wing and car *confused*

Darren E

K80RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Superlight R #54

Edited by - k80rum on 4 Jun 2008 23:58:57

My car has the SV DeDion tube on the S3 chassis, as supplied by Freestyle. My car has the MOG wide rear wings - no extend-a-lizer inserts. Some various photos here.

Brand new! Has yet to turn its first mile.

*smile* Sean

Darren, as Mav says the inserts are there to make sure the rear wings cover the Wheels.

In my case they are 75MM wide to accomodate the widest set of rims I have, which are 10.5 inch.

If you blatmail me your e-mail address I'll send you some pics.

Was there anything else you wanted to know?

Mike.

Hi Darren,

I'm getting wider wings from Redline (not C/F) for my car as my wider 10" wheels (with slicks) don't fit under my standard Caterham C/F wings. I have a standard de-dion tube and if I had an SV one my wheel-base would be even wider and would definately not fit on my trailer.

What is the advantage of a wider tube over just getting wider wheels or alternatively changing the wheel offset to give the same effect to the wheelbase?

Just wondering???

Rob

decreasing the backdepth of the wheels places more strain on the already poor designed stressed sierra wheel hubs.

The question is - is the driver capable of exploiting the benifit of the wider track with his cornering speed or is the mod simply for pub w*nk value 😬

here is C7 TOP

Taffia rear gunner

Thanks for the responses. I thought there were only 1 or 2 cars that had gone this route - shows how wrong i was!

Thanks for the photos link Sean - that's a fantastic looking car *thumbup* Thanks also to Rob and Dave for pointing out the other impacts of doing this. I must admit I hadn 't thought of the trailering aspect.

I've read about different radius arms being needed. I assume they're dog-legged in some way to allow the DD end to pickup the locating point on the tube (as the SV body locating point is going to be in line with it and the non-SV isn't). I'm curious why radius arms were chosen for a relatively new design, when just before the SV came out CC had introduced the Watts Linkage because it was slightly superior. Is it just less effort to modify a simpler design?

Mike if it's no trouble, I'd like to see your pics too - darren(dot)elmslie(at)logica(dot)com should find me. Thanks for the offer.

It's really something I'm mulling over as a winter project. I personally think the wider rear wings suit the shape of the car well and they'd let me run pretty much any wheels without worrying about offset. It's a big project though - SV tube (£270 from CC), longer drive shafts (I'm interested to see if I can get a longer shaft made up for some standard ones, rather than buy new 'sv' ones) and of course wider rear wings. Then there's the wheels to suit the wings.

Thanks for explaining about the inserts. I imagined they were used to space out standard width wings but hadn't ever seen any in use. I guess most people that tried them decided to go for wider wings eventually.

PS: As a cheeky aside, I'm after some damaged rear wings here if anyone's got any

Darren E

Superlight R #54

Edited by - k80rum on 5 Jun 2008 10:19:58

As Dave says, I'm wary of changing the offset as I'd heard it loaded the bearings. My rear wheels slightly extend past the rear arches. I love 'em but am wondering what effect it might have on the rear bearings which haven't exactly known to be trouble-free for some folks in the past.

😬 Dave - It's more about changing the look of the car for me so definitely the latter *tongue* I honestly don't think I'd have the where-with-all to realise any difference in handling performance!

Darren E

Superlight R #54