Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Urgent my alternator is falling off.

Steve W

Arhhh packing the car last night before a trackday at Cadwell Park tomorrow I thought I would do a few quick checks. Inspecting the alternator belt as it came lose a couple of weeks back I found the problem. Car is a Raceline Zetec. The tensioner for the alternator belt/water pump attaches to a plate bolted to the block a two places. The top bolt has broken off leaving half in the water pump and the bottom bolt was lose . I've tightened the bottom bolt and given it a good shot of thread lock.

For a quick repair I have taken an aprox 6' section of 1' flat bar and bolted this to the nylon block connected to the alternator (which has a slot for adjusting the tension) and connected this to a bolt which holds the cam belt cover on.

I seems secure ? I'm hoping it will last just for Cadwell then I can have it fixed permanently.

I have a pic I can send. Is there anyone out there with more of a mechanical mind can take a look the pic of my repair and tell me what they think.

Many thanks.

Edited by - steve w on 30 May 2002 10:55:44

If the cam belt cover and it's fixings are strong enough, It sound like a good bodge.

Is there any of the old bolt sticking out? can you cut a groove into it for a flat screwdriver? How big is the bolt? If it's a fair size, I have some extractors (essentially a tapered reverse tap) which I'll try to remember to bring, together with a drill. Bring a spare bolt if you have one.

Alex

Edited by - Alex Wong on 30 May 2002 12:28:47

Another trick when you can see the end of what's left in the bolt is to use a center punch and punch it off center and then (with the center punch) try and unscrew using the punch and the punch'ed dent.

I've just had a similar problem with my ex-Xflow. All the waterpump bolts were very lose. An RAC man showed me the above trick.

Greg, Q 880 RAE (Green/Ali XF)