Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Road superlight or ex-race equivalent?

Tim Sture

Owing to the (mostly) useless advice proferred on chit chat I thought I'd try on tech talk as well...

Having sold my car (Academy 1.6 Vx) I now have to choose the next one. Have found:

1. superlight, FIA bar, leather seats

2. ex-race roadsport (race equivalent of superlight), full cage and side-impact bars, tillet seats (2), plumbed in extinguisher, brake bias valve, stack dash, 4 into 1 competition exhaust, uprated master cylinder.

Taking into account that one has throttle bodies on the prices work out comparable - ie, not the deciding factor. The cars are similar age and each has roof/windscreen and side screens. They both have 6-speed, wide track adjustable suspension, lsd etc.

How do I choose between them?

For the race car - full cage etc means safer, but more hassle getting in and out (that's what's on my current car). Against it the colour is dark and I'd prefer something more visible, although a dayglo orange nosecone (plus my orange foam on the cage) would sort that, albeit it a cost!

What's the MOT rule for emissions on a race car without cat?

For the superlight, it's a better, brighter colour, but I'm not that keen on having carbon dash (a bit naff IMHO) and wings (wallet-wiltingly expensive if need replacing).

I will mainly use on road but wish to do some local sprinting and hillclimbing too (so that means I'll be using List 1a tyres). I think the superlight would ultimately have better residuals but nothing's guaranteed and I don't want that to be the deciding factor - I'm not planning on selling for a LONG time, whereas when I did the Academy I knew I wanted to upgrade relatively soon in any event.

Any (sensible) advice?

Oh - if you think your car sounds much better for me - why not try to persuade me

It's grim oop north - but reet griddly compared ter darn sarf