Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VX Standard Oil Filter

Ben Willis

Gents,

Am I right in thinking the laughably small thing that fits Caterham's installation of the 2 litre is from a Renault 4?

Having a Rover ignition key and trailer lights was bad enough, but this is silly.

In fact, does anyone have a list of what bits come from what cars? Surely a really useful FAQ on a web page somewhere. I am slowly building up a list, things like wheel bearings, brake pads & disks, clutch cable, throttle cable etc.

Cheers,

Ben

Ben,

Thanks for your reply to my post on cambelts.... and yes you're right!!, the correct filter is ex-renault 4.

It's Champion c116 or Halfraud's HOF 238.

IMHO the size doesn't matter.. as the girl from Renault said. With carbs I reckon you should change oil, filter and sponge baffle every oil change (3000-4500 miles)..otherwise the sponge baffle retains so much sh1tty oil, it's just not true. Also you need to properly clean out the bottom of the sump, so it's a costly exercise, new baffle, gaskets, oil and filter, but when you think about it, doing it any other way doesn't really make sense.

Paul

I noticed that the HOF238 has disappeared too - hence my original question! So does the HOF266 fit okay?

As for changing the sump foam every 3000 miles - nice idea but I would no longer be able afford to drive the damn thing!

Ben

Ben

I fitted the HOF266 about 3 weeks and 500 miles ago. No problems so far.........The 500 miles included a good A-road thrash up to Stoneliegh, and a pootle round the traffic in London on a Sunday morning, so it's had the full range of driving conditions. The only thing leaking appears to the the gearbox.............

Thinking about it, Halfords must have had some strange stats when they looked at discontinuing the 238. No sales for years in most stores but huge peaks of activity in stores like Ipswich! I bet as many got sold for VX cats as R4s

Ben