Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

what length rivets do I need

Nick Woods

Can someone please let me know what size of rivets I need to hold the inner panels of the cockpit to the chassis ?

From looking through here and by drilling one out I've already established that they are 4mm in diameter, however I dont know what length to order as replacements - Screwfix do 8, 10 and 12, Machine mart do 6.5 and 11, but as I dont have any experience of this I'm not sure what to go for or why

Nick

P8MRA - The green one with red wings

For most you will get away with 8mm. If it is one of the areas in the cockpit where more than one of the interior panels overlaps and then goes through the trim piping then you will need 12mm. If you did them all in 12mm it wouldn't matter.

Peterid=blue>

eek.gifSecond loser, Class 5, Curborough May 2002id=red>

*Wouldn*t Matter* !!!!!!

Think of the weight man, think of the weight

you will be suggesting a car should include a passenger seat and front numberplate next.

teeth.gif

Edited by - Doh!Nut on 29 May 2002 15:35:26

Mark, the 'old baby' as you put it is going really well teeth.gifteeth.gif.

I have it at work today and can confirm the tonneaus keep the water out during heavy downpours - we've had three monster ones today, all at times when I was planning to go out in it. mad.gif I did get time though to take someone out for a quick blat this morning and he was blown away to put it mildly....

As you already know there's really nothing much wrong with the car, its just that I want to sort out the little areas that need attention before they get bad enough to cost me any money eek.gif

The main ones are the powdercoat on the chassis and the two small areas of bubbling on the drivers side. The powdercoat is easy, I have a 1 litre tin of Smooth Hammerite in the garage and am waiting for a dry spell as there isnt enough room inside the garage to work in.

I started off by thinking I'd just be able to waxoyl behind the bubbles but then realised I cant get behind them as they are between the cockpit side and the outer panels. One thing led to another and now I'm all psyched up ready to remove the seat and runners, drill out the rivets, clean it all up and protect the back of the outer panels and then put it all back together. I dont think it will be too hard to do but it will take a bit of time.

The idea is to break the contact between steel and aluminium as this should stop the corrosion getting any worse - as I've said elsewhere in Tech Talk its not bad enough to warrant replacing any panels just yet.

Hows your superlight ?

Regards

Nick

P8MRA - The green one with red wings