Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Kumho 175 front and 235 rear?

Shaun_E

• Support Team

Trying to get 175 front and 215 rear but no 215 available in soft. There are 235 available in soft but will this cause me any problems? Would it make the car unbalanced (rear overtyred) or are there any likely issues with fouling - wings or ARB -using standard 8" Caterham 8 spoke wheels?

I understand there isn't much difference in overall width between the 215 and 235 but I don't want to end up with loads of understeer.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Shaun..

I would think it likely that the car would be rather over tyred on the rear causing more understeer than desireable...could possibly be cured by changing set-up ie changing the rake of the car to move the CoG of the car forward and put more weight on the fronts......but, that'd mean experimenting rather a lot!

Dannyboy *tongue*

• Support Team

Having spoken to Mark, 175 / 215 combination produces some high speed understeer which is dialled out with stiffer rear damping. I don't think that will be too different to my current set up (185/205 Toyos). I am told that 215 vs 235 is actually only 10mm difference in width so maybe won't be too much of a problem. My biggest concern is having the tyres foul the drop links on my rear ARB - this might still be a problem with the 215s.

However - if Rob Grigsby doesn't get back to me then yes please Lynda if you are selling them.

Rob M - thanks. I have ordered the 235s but if they are no good and I can't get 215s from either Rob or Lynda in time then I will take you up on your offer.

If 'in time' means for Pembrey, then I'm not sure I can help ... I could get them down to Oxford tomorrow *confused* but otherwise we're going to Devon for a week from Saturday.

Lynda

• Support Team

Lynda - don't worry, I am sure I can sort something out for Pembrey. Thanks.

Simon - I guess you have Barnby rims which are 8.5 inch wide. Not sure whether offsets are the same either so I may have issues with the ARB drop link as it comes pretty close to the 205s I have fitted at the moment. I'll just have to try them and see. A new style de-dion tube could be on the cards as I understand that to be a bit wider.

Shaun I had the 215's on 8" MB rims last year with the over slung rear arb, it's going to be very close with the 235's which are 15mm wider so 7.5mm on the inside depending on offsets with your rims etc. Rob Margel ran with a 6.5" inner rim (mine was 6") and had some issues but you might just get away with it. You could go to a freestyle rear arb which would also solve the problem but I'd probably favour the (more expensive) wider DD tube route.

Adrian

• Support Team

235s should arrive today so I'll see if it looks like they will fit.

Rob G. - are you around this weekend? If the 235s won't fit (and it looks like the 215s will) then I would like to buy yours. Please can you Blatmail me your phone number so I can contact you over the weekend. Thanks.

Adrian - not sure how the offsets compare between MB and Caterham 8 spoke but it certainly sounds like I might have an issue. I'll see if Caterham have stock of De-Dion tubes - this is going to be one expensive upgrade!

While I'm at it, if the 235s fit them maybe I should try and fit 215s up front! What is required to do this? I assume I will need new wings but will I need wider wheels (currently 6" Caterham 8 spokes) and will offset be an issue?

I noticed at curbugger that one of my tyres was rubbing ever so slightly on the forward trailing arm (only on one side, passenger side), I think it was from build up of rubber that was getting on the edge of the tyre which was then rubbing off. But on closer inspection it is very tight in that area, so if I have to go wider for 235's It will have to be wider outers on the 3 piece rims...

the underslung freestyle bar also had to be modded ever so slightly to fit with my setup by putting additional spacers so they wouldn't foul. I can't recall the logic in my thinking for going this way, probably just tight and not wanting to have to replace the outers at the same time *tongue*

Shaun - I suspect you will need wider fronts, do you have the standard caterham wings? if yes then I think you might have to get new ones. I am hoping my DITP ones will take a wider front for next year, otherwise you will have to look at the CSR ones are maybe somethig like of a mallock...

also offer of tyres still stands if you need for pembrey, however am away from sat-weds pm next week *thumbup*

rob

What's all this talk about upgrades ALREADY and what does this word 'expensive' mean when used in conjunction with 'upgrade'? *smile*

I am sure I am starting to feel a need for a diamond upgrade or two *wink*

Gill

• Support Team

Uh oh...busted! Better get the de Beers catalogue out again *cry*.

Clicked on the link - very tempting although I didn't like the phrase "will fit on the existing Caterham cycle wing brackets with some slight modification". Will also need some wider front wheels I think.

New de-dion is going to be a lot of effort to gain 8mm (4mm each side) - will need new brake pipes as well. Probably cheaper to get some wheels with a different offset.

I'll just temporarily ditch the rear ARB if the new tyres foul on it. Stiffening the rear damping will probably compensate reasonably.

Edited by - Shaun_E on 23 May 2008 11:22:42

• Support Team

Tyres just arrived much to the consternation of our receptionist!

Those Image wheels look quite nice but I have just been looking at the Rial items from Fluke/MOG. Now the question is what offset do I need to completely avoid any fouling issues? Looking at 8.5" rears and 7" or 8" fronts. Rials come in ET15 for 8.5" rears and ET21 for 7" fronts or ET9 for 8" fronts.

Just for my peace of mind please can someone comfirm how I tell whether I have the soft compound. The tyres are marked K21.

Edited by - Shaun_E on 23 May 2008 11:57:34

• Support Team

Adrian/Rob - thanks for the confirmation.

Rob - that was what I was afraid of. Not a quick change by any stretch of the imagination.

Still tempted by those Rial wheels though 🥰.