Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Cambelt change - VX 2.0XE

Paul McKenzie

Need some help, guys. The other threads on this subject have got me motivated to change the cambelt on my pre-'93 2.0XE.

Is it straightforward? Anything particular to look out for? Do I need the 'special tool' as per Haynes?

Is it worth doing the idler pulleys upgrade at the same time?

Thanks for your help.

Paul

Edited by - Paul McKenzie on 29 May 2002 12:09:50

Hiya Paul,

Having done this 29 million times on my old car, the answer is yes it is straight forward. 2 trickiest ops. the first time you do it are 1) re-tensioning belt (a doddle when you've done it once) and 2) re-fitting front cover...I junked mine thereafter.......you'll sort it!!!

Cheers,

Kenny SLR

On a pre-93 engine the pullies are steel.

You don't need the tool, just set the tension so the belt can be twisted 90 deg on the longest run.

The easy way (if you are on std cams with non vernier pullies) is if before you remove the old belt, set the engine to TDC on cyl 1 and put a small centre punch mark on the pullies at the closest points. this ensures the engine does not move when you refit the new belt without you being able to see!

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM siteid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Paul,

I am a complete novice when it comes to this sort of thing, but I changed mine about 2 months ago for the first time. First problem was getting the wrong type of belt supplied, despite giving the engine age etc. Bit of a pain, so worth checking - I think it is basically down to tooth shape.

Changing the belt was easy, making sure you know where all the pulleys are before you start. Arnie's method is basically what I did.

Haynes manual bit worried me too. First time I have ever seen them say "must use proper tool" and not mention a cheap alternative. However, I didn't read that bit until I was putting it back together, so I guessed and went for the 90 degree twist method - no problems so far!

The other thing I missed was it says to use a new bolt for the tensioner wheel when you do it up again - I didn't.

Worst bit is putting the cover back on - I can see why people don't bother!

Only problem is that I didn't check my pulley wheels. Someone I know got an £800 bill last week after losing a belt following one of them breaking up. Think I'll have to do, cause I am worried now.

Cheers,

Ben

Ben