Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What oil? To top up when grade unknown?

Matt B

Hi - i had my K series supersport serviced by Hyperion a month or so ago. I have my first track day Thursday night, would like to take some spare oil with me but i have been unable to get hold of Hyperion to confirm what oil they used.

Assuming i cant get hold of them what oil would be best to use as an emergency top up if required? i dont know if they used synthetic, semi or normal!!

Thanks

Matt

Edited by - Matt B on 20 May 2008 19:06:32

Edited by - Matt B on 20 May 2008 20:17:48

The oil in the car is new, the issue is that if i have to top up for whatever reason i dont know the grade of oil in there. What would be the best solution / compromise to top up with if i didnt know the grade?

• Support Team

5w50 would be fine as would 0w40 or 5w40. It doesn't really matter, just use a fully synthetic oil such as Mobil 1 or Silkolene.

Having said that, I use Halfords motorsport oil (5w50) which is alledgedly the same as the Caterham branded one.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

The recomended oil for this engine is 5w40, preferably synthetic. Go & get some either Comma or Halfords own brand (made by Comma). I've used Halfords 5w40 synthetic for yonks.

Almost certainly Hyperion would have used a 5w40.

You can mix oils. Mineral can be mixed with synthetic without a problem. You can even mix grades, it'll still work as a lubricant. However if you know what's in the engine just use that: why not ring Hyperion & ask what they used?

The recomended oil for this engine is 5w40, preferably synthetic. Go & get some either Comma or Halfords own brand (made by Comma). I've used Halfords 5w40 synthetic for yonks.

Almost certainly Hyperion would have used a 5w40.

That's what I thought, but after checking with 7-Indulgence and Caterham they both said 5w50 fully synth.

Not sure how critical it is between 5w40 and 5w50, I usually get someone else to do the oily bits 😳

Ian - MI 5EVN - Slightly Vider SVelte model 😬 now repainted to match the Autocom headsets (and AA recovery truck 😳)