Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine Type/ Cam Belt Change

F355GTS

I have a 1996 1.6K Series supersport which is almost certainly due ofr a Cam Belt change. I need to know the engine type to be able to order this from Caterham or Rover

Any easy way to tell?

Also anything I should know about changing it other than not to get the timing wrong!

Mark

There have been two specs of timing pulley - the later one is wider than the earlier one. You do need to check this. There is a wider belt for the later pulley which is preferable, but if you don't have the right pulley then it will cause trouble.

When you get to do the job, be sure to loctite the crank pulley when you replace it. Locking the crankshaft is a fun job also.

Peterid=blue>

eek.gifSecond loser, Class 5, Curborough May 2002id=red>

Peter

thanks for the info, think i'll take the old one off and take it to the dealer to match it

think the last owner forgot the loctite on the Crankshaft .....pulley it fell off at Imola 4 weeks ago! causing the Alternator belt to shread, we managed to get another one at a Rover dealer in Imola (amazed to find one!) but fitting it was a nightmare becaue some muppet had run the pipes for the Apollo through the centre of the belt

Mark