Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K-Series dry sump questions

jp7

Just doing my first oil change since fitting the dry sump. I've drained the sump through the plug,removed the filter, disconnected the belltank to sump hose and drained that and also the majority of the oil in the belltank through the same hole, but could i get the blue plate off! It would just not budge, so i sucked up the remaining oil in the bottom through a small hose to leave about 1/4" in the bottom.

Is this OK?

Second question, i've measured what came out and it was about 5 litres, is this about right? I thought there should be more.

Lastly when i fill it back up, would it be wise to put a couple of litres into the engine itself?, i think i'm aiming for around 11 1/2" up from the bottom of the tank.

Cheers

Andy

I think your hose trick is a better bet than removing the blue plate. I leave the blue plate on and pump the dregs out of the tank. It is always a matter of ratio of old oil to ratio of new oil that matters.

When you say you have removed the plug, which plug is this? I remove the belt and wind the pump to empty the sump into the tank and then do everything else as you describe.

When refilling, if you put oil into the engine, it only stands a possibility of helping with splash lubrication of the valvetrain, nothing else. This isn't the most critical area, so it doesn't really matter. If you overfill in total, it will just end up in the catch tank.

Peterid=blue>

eek.gifSecond loser, Class 5, Curborough May 2002id=red>

Hi Peter,thanks for the speedy reply.

i have a sump plug on the bottom of the sump.I think this is a new addition to the casting this year. It empties most of the oil out but as it sits slightly higher than the outlet to the scavenge pump i suppose theres a little bit still in there, do you think i should do the same and turn the scavenge pump to suck it out?

If i put all the oil straight into the tank, should i stick in around 5 litres and see how that is?

cheers

Andy

Just completed my 500 mile run in period. I thought that the oil change would be straight forward. So let me run this by for clarification. 1. Undo belt from dry sump pump. 2. turn pump by hand. 3. Disconnect lower sump to bell tank braided hose. 4. remove oil filter. 5. try to drain/remove any low lying oil in the tank or sump. No need to remove the blue plate on the bottom of the bell tank. Is this correct? Now that I'm pass the 500 mile mark what's the suggested rev limit/ milage mark? 1.8k vhpd spec. Tom

Sounds about right Tom, if your car is new i suspect you too will have the drain plug on the bottom of the sump, this takes out most of the oil in the bottom of the engine, then its up to you whether you turn the pump over to get the last bit out.

I've tried (in vain) to limit the revs to below 4000 for the first 500miles, now im putting some decent oil in i'll raise that to around 6000. Various people have all sorts of ideas when it comes to running in, from 'its a modern engine so just thrash it from day one' to 'take at least 1000miles', just do what you feel comfortable with i suppose.

Cheers

Andy