Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Aim MXL - very poor vertical viewing angle???

TorAtle

I'm sorry to read about your screen TA. Looking at the shots in your link, mine seems most like number 3, which I was happy with . I'm guessing that you've got the backlight (or "night vision" as AIM insist on calling it..) on in all 3 shots.

I've not noticed this issue with mine, but it's mostly been sat in the garage and perhaps the light levels make a difference at more obtuse viewing angles. Hopefully Phil or Peter C can give you a bit more feedback as they must have quite a bit of experience with theirs.

Darren E

K80RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Superlight R #54

Edited by - k80rum on 13 May 2008 21:16:49

Just checked out the other pictures. I certainly don't get the artifacts shown in them. I'm really sorry to say it, but those rogue LCD segments definitely don't look right. ☹️

Edited to add: I've taken some shots of mine - first was taken with a flash, the rest are taken with no external lighting. The MXL backlighting is on in all shots. I've taken them all from a standing position, to get quite an angle and included some from the menus screen so hopefully they're useful as a direct comparison to your ones. here

The same shots at (hopefully) a better res. here

Darren E

K80RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Superlight R #54

Edited by - k80rum on 13 May 2008 23:31:20

Edited by - k80rum on 13 May 2008 23:41:26

The problem, although not exclusively, seems to be linked to the last line of text. If this is blank then it looks good - picture here. If for instance I get a BATTERY warning the gear indicator shows '1' with about 30-40% intensity, and the last digit of field 3 buggers up the 3rd character in field 1....etc etc.

Edit: Thanks for the pics Darren, I guess mine's going back ☹️

Edited by - TorAtle on 13 May 2008 23:35:05

The different non-active segments were easily spotted in your pic, Phil, but at least they were even.

Since I got the MXL while I was in the states last week I'm toying with the idea of using it this season and sending it in for repair in october. Functionally it seems to be fine. If I send it back now I'm probably looking at a month round trip, customs alone will take over a week.