Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Cutting, drilling and bending titanium

Martin S.

Can I do it with normal tools? ie. hacksaw/angle grinder to cut, HSS bits to drill and wack with hammer in vice to bend? I'm working with a 1mm thk sheet.

Class 4 Zetec *cool*.....trying but failing to keep on the right side of the fairies

It would be forged as a bend. *thumbup*

Titanium is only as strong as it is forged.

Machining is a pig as it is bl**dy hard and requires special tooling (expensive)

Ground is only that it does not lose it's strength. *thumbup*

Edited by - Peter T on 15 May 2008 09:09:00

I have bent up to 2mm thick titanium trays at work on a press brake machine, this is a hydrolic former with a sharp horizontal blade that presses down into a 'v' shaped bottom tool, the 'v' is 8 x the material thicknes. I did have enough material left to make a sump gaurd, with a bend at the front, attached to my dry sump pan and bell housing 😬 it recently did it s job well. We did once have some 12mm thick titanium to roll into cylinders, around a metre in diameter, these proved impossible to bend into shape. our rollers regularly roll cylinders to this size in thicknesses up to 25mm but the titanium just came out of the other end straight *eek* surely titanium is machined in the cycle industry, hubs and cad machined parts etc 🤔

Kevin R

black(but sometimes orange)-ali HPC

"It is never machined."

odd then that Smiths Aerospace (now GE-Systems Aviation) invested in a whole load of big machines to machine down blocks of titantium to make the actuators for A330/40/80 flaps and landing bay doors.

Shame though that the price of raw materials went straight up as soon as they did, so making the old method of buying them in forged to almost the finished shape more economical. Still made for lots of expensive metal swarf...

Well as a guard I had a length of 5mm thick M/S plate brazed to the bottom of my dry sump, its not a continuous brazing as the sumps too thin. Its been there err 18 years *thumbup* and is now thinner from contact with speed bumps *eek*

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

Titanium can be machined, it is widely used in the aerospace industry, I have some 12mm titanium nuts and bolts that were machined , Ducati use titanium conrods , valve spring retainers these are machined. As for bending it this is difficult but again not impossible.