Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Steering alignment

Mole

I have read lots in the archives about the merits of different degrees (sorry no pun intended) of toe-in, toe-out etc. Stupid question but, what equipment is necessary to be able to set the alignment to the level of accuracy required?

Clearly it would be useful to have access to such equipment to be able to experiment with different settings (i.e. own it) so is it expensive and where can I get it from (! assume that it's too technical for Halfrauds - they don't even do 41mm sockets!)?

I also followed the instructions on the number of turns for attaching the track rod ends (I seem to remember it was 11) and was left with very noticeable toe-out. It took another 3 turns each side to get to what looks like parallel - has anyone else had this problem?

1.8K SV (wide track suspension)

The Mole - it's better than being a rat

Get a tyre place to set up the tracking (toe in or out). I set mine to neutral, then you can adjust it to your hearts content, by turning the track rod ends the same ammount each side.

Camber is a bit more difficult to check, as only certain places have camber gauges. You can buy a crude camber gauge from Demon Tweeks, which seems to work quite well. Again if you set it to roughly what you want, get it checked and then adjust it as you wish. From memory I think one turn is about .25 deg (although ask Caterham or do a search on this site, as its been covered before)