Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

I've got a squeaky column

jeremybu

It seems to make a noise only when it gets warm. Every corner, roundabout and manhole swerve creates an annoying squeak (is definately not from SWMBO either).

I've tried greasing it, moving it up and down and so on but it still remains.

Anyone else had the same problem and managed a fix?

1.6 SV - GJ02JLO - If there's one thing I've learned, it's that it should have been something else.

Edited by - jeremybu on 12 May 2008 15:34:45

Jeremy, I had similar here.

Have sprayed some silicone lubricant around where the steeering column passes through the dash and it seems to work for a while, but have to redo it every now and again as I guess it "dries out".

Ian - MI 5EVN - Slightly Vider SVelte model 😬 now repainted to match the Autocom headsets (and AA recovery truck 😳)

Silcone lube seems to make this kinda thing worse IMO.

Even WD40 and oil sometimes doesn't work - UPVC door hinges - squeaked like merry hell with everything I tried. Put copparslip on them in the end and it they have quiet for 6 years now. Might be tricky to get copparslip down your column in situ though...

Don't forget to add lightness :-)

My 2002/2003 racing pics

here

General pics (mostly of 7's and cars).

here

Edited by - stevefoster on 12 May 2008 22:42:11

Some of the methods of bush changing are a little (lot) horrific.

Warm it up with a hair dryer (it's rubber) and it will come out with a steady pull. Lube the new one's outer surface with silicone grease and push it in with your thumbs, Ensure the "pips" engage in their holes.

All this talk of warming up the rubber, lubing outer surfaces and pushing with thumbs is making me a bit bothered. And don't even talk about pips.... *redface*

I've used a few drops of 'Marvel Mystery Oil' (it's american snake oil) but seemed to work.