Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Footwell heat shield

Vole Sunset

Because it smelled of damp dog, I binned the carpet/tunnel cover from my Xflow, leaving bare aluminium. Whilst far more salubrious, it is now v v hot in the footwell area ...

Do those aluminium heatshield products work? (Demon Tweaks sell them here

I'm driving to Italy this year, and don't want a burned left leg - or grumpy nagivator!

It will work to a certain extent to improve matters but there will still be a lot of heatsoak into the tunnel. Personally I would still fit carpet type material to the tunnel to insulate it from your leg even if you remove it again after the trip to Italy. A mate of mine keeps a couple of carpet tiles cut to size which he puts at the tunnel side on his R300 to prevent it burning his leg on long, hot trips.

Also if you have the old type (flat box) recirculating heater, I would blank off the outlets if you can (Gaffer tape or similar) as even if it has a water valve you will be amazed just how much superheated air it seems to throws into the footwell, even with the valve off. You will probably suffer it without too much trouble but I guarantee if your navigator is female, it will be a source of much earache on a long trip!

Please don't ask me how I know this. *rolleyes*

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

2.3 DURATEC SV You know when you've been AMMO'd *eek* 😬

R470.69 😬

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 12 May 2008 09:17:49

"couple of carpet tiles cut to size" is a very, very good idea - as is the 1" foam jobbie. Thank you.

Heater? Oh, is that the place where I've gaffer taped my tool kit? I'm pretty sure there aren't any vents that need blanking off with gaffer tape. On which subject, I can guarantee my nagivator is female. 😳

Have just covered both my footwells on the engine side when i had the engine out recently with heat resistant ally foil. Went out over the weekend in the hot weather and the footwells were cold so it works a treat. Main reason for doing this is touring round France, its been unbearable on previous trips so hopefully this has sorted it.

Phil

It certainly helped on my old car (for some reason, my SV seems immune to such problems) but I found that on very long runs in France with temperatures in the mid 30's, it still got very, very hot.

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

2.3 DURATEC SV You know when you've been AMMO'd *eek* 😬

R470.69 😬

• 4 weeks later...

Well, heat shield on - and a huge improvement. I had to drive the car (1700 xfllow) through v hot, frequently stationary, traffic in central London yesterday, and feet almost cool *cool*. You could still fry an egg on the tunnel sides mind.

So thank you Richard.