Click here if you are having website access problems ×

aero whiskers

akakubi

After fitting mine, we got an extra 5bhp on the rolling road. 😬

Of course, that may have been due to changing the mapping, but I think that it was the whiskers... *cool*

Mine's an ol' Crossflow but having first fitted a rear undertray I noticed an effect with that, with the rear of the car feeling a bit more glued to the road. The whiskers had less effect but I'm convinced you could just feel the difference.

Positioning will be key, but Caterham do a very effective paper template to show just where to fit them. And the rear of the whisker is right into quite a big curve in the nosecons, so trying to fit them from the outside was a non-starter for me. Don't know if later nosecones are flatter tho'.

Andy

Andy

• 10 months later...

Sorry to jump on the end of this thread, but would these whiskers have any reasonable effect with flared wings fitted? I was wondering as I understand the flared wings create a fair amount of lift at speed?

M.

-------------------------------

Martin Saunders

ohh, is it upgrade time? :)

I doubt the whiskers downforce would be affected by the flares, I imagine the downforce would remain at my previously determined 71gram. The airflow over the whisker could divert some of the air from going under the flares and this could add to reduce the lift form the flares by many multiples of the downforce with whiskers alone. I would exert caution on your first drive with the whiskers as the effect could well be dangerous and result in folk laughing at you.

ps - your a day late 😬

here is my Duratec R .... C7 TOP

Taffia joint AO with Al

I can't remember where I read it, but an aerodynamisist (sp?) wrote that they are purely for show as they would not create any worthwhile downforce.

There's a Westfield with a full front wing which looks to be as wide as the car. That will work.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven toThe French Blatting Company Limited

Oh, come on you lot! Shirley you know that these whiskers have nothing to do with down force, and everything to do with smoothing out the airflow around your spring/shockabsorber units? No wonder you didn't notice any meaningful downforce Dave J. but you were going so much faster because of the reduction in drag around your front suspension. For the record, if anyone has seen my CSR, they will notice I have not fitted the whiskers, 'cause not having those big bulky spring units, I don't need any smoothing out, thank you. *cool* 😬

Paul J.

My CSR now back with it's new and remapped Omex ECU - Hooray no more kangarooing and 268.6 bhp / 204lb-ft :-))

Edited to add, they do look sexy though *thumbup* *wink*

Edited by - Paul Jacobs on 4 Apr 2009 17:35:55