Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CR500's

EFA

Alex, would you consider them only as "wets" then? I think I'd still like something that lasted longer than the ACB10s yet have a reasonable attempt at ACB10-like traction. I sold the Yoko 21s after only 3 weeks because I hated them. No traction at all.

I want something for road/touring use. You can't guarantee the weather on tour, so CR500s would seem a good idea, but if used in the dry do they wear particularly poorly? How do they compare (wear rates) with ACB10s? I use the Caterham compound ACB10s (hard).

In case you didnt know - I think there has been a change to the compound used with the CR500. My latest set seem a lot more durable that the original set that the car was supplied with back in Sep 2001.

Any more at that price Arnie??

PC wrote something after a conversation with the chap from Avon about the fact that those destined for the race series had been "hardened" to improve durability, but no mention was made WRT to those destined for road use. This is good news IMO because I had worried that they were a little fragile for dry road use. I take it they are still a good and grippy tyre in both dry as well as wet? I know they won't replace or even come close to ACB10s in the dry, but they must be better than Yoko 21s?

How much use did you put on the 21Rs Nige?

IME it takes a fair while (and some boot) for the release agent layer to scrub off. You then need to get a good heat cycle through them.

Not the last word in traction by any means (I've used slicks in the dry as my yardstick) but for road use I really don't see that you need a lot more.

And in the wet they're superb.

I used 21Rs on last year's Le Sept and wasn't being left behind...and at half the cost of CR500s...

Have you tried 32Rs in the SS compound?

I also wonder if the 21Rs will work well with a car set up for ACBs...

They had 350-400 miles on them. They were fully "run in" I can assure you... but they are one end of a scale where ACB10s are the other. I'm just used to the "other" I guess. It was more than just grip though... it was feel too, something about the fact that ACB10s don't lean in corners.

Not sure what you mean by "lean". I should probably have a go with ACB10s to try and get some comparative bench marks.

Slicks turned in infinitely better than the 21Rs and gripped much more (gear higher out of each corner), BUT they broke away much more snappily too.

If the scale were a mile long, I'd venture that if slicks were at the mile marker, and ACBs at the 0.9, 21Rs are probably at the 0.8. Michelin Pilots are at the 0 point.

Perhaps your car isn't set up for them, but out of about 20 different Se7en-type cars I've driven with a mixture of tyres I'd have said:

soft slicks = 1

Caterham compound (hard) ACB10s = 0.7

SS compound 32Rs = 0.6

21Rs = 0.4

Michelins = -10 (am I allowed that?)

This is assuming equal size tyres.

By "lean" I meant the fact that ACB10s are crossplys, so they don't deform under the car when corning hard. Radials do (to a point) but it's a marked (noticeable) point and all the more so when all you've driven on (to date) in one particular car is ACB10s.