Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Connections for axial type starter?

Shad

I've managed to work out that my current standard starter motor unit (with solenoid underneath starter motor) uses essentially 3 connections. Fat cable from the positive terminal on the battery (alternator also connected here, presumably to feed battery?), skinny cable from spade terminal into 'K-click relay' which becomes live when the starter button is pressed, and earthing through the body of the unit.

Firstly, is that correct?

Secondly, how do these connections compare with those on the axial type starter motor unit (which will be arriving tomorrow)? I'm hoping it's a straight swap but realistically, nothing's ever that easy...!

Simon

niknak.org

Slight hijack, K80rum I've been looking at the CC axial starter motor as I think mine is on the way out. Is CC starter motor the high torque variety, it looks identical to the Brise axial motor, is it the same?

Phil

Hi Phil,

I *think so*, but it might be worth double-checking with CC parts in case they know.

When I swapped a while back I investigated both the Brise and CC units and they seemed to be exactly the same (Magneton) part, but CC were a bit cheaper, presumably through some supply deal. Hope that helps. There's a little bit of info on my site, under the Past Projects section if it's useful.

All the best,

Darren E

K80RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Superlight R #54

Edited by - k80rum on 7 May 2008 10:51:20

Hi Darren, thanks for the info. I reckon they are the same although the price difference is substantial. I'm going to clean out my solenoid and re-grease and see if that makes any difference first, if not then I'll go for one.

Phil

Sounds like the best approach Phil - cleaning up the solenoid seems to work wonders on the OEM starter and is likely to save an un-necessary expense.

If you *do* end up replacing it, the CC axial one is the cost-effective one to go for. I must admit I don't understand the gap in price but i'm not complaining *wink* - I spoke to Darren in parts and asked him to mail over a pic before I got mine, as I was sure it'd been mispriced or mislabeled.

Darren E

K80RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Superlight R #54