Click here if you are having website access problems ×

....£1000-£2000

caterhamnut

...if one had this amount to spend on upgraditis, what should one spend it on?

We have a 1.6k SS, and already have an upgraded exhaust.

I know this topic is often covered, but I am dreaming, and do not really have any idea of specific costs etc.

Throttle bodies?

On the "do as I say not as I do" principle - upgrade yourself.

I was gobsmacked to see the times Andrew Outterside and Graeme Smith managed to get out of Academy/Graduates Vauxhall 8v 1600 cars with control (ie crappy) tyres at Curborough the other day. At 66.something that's faster than some people managed in SLR's!

More speed will be gained per £ spent by getting training than upgrading the car (subject to all sorts of limitations that probably mean I'm talking nonsense...!). So that's why I'm trying to sell my car and get a superlight instead smile.gif

It's grim oop north - but reet griddly compared ter darn sarf

Fat Arnie and liposuction.... a bit like kettle, pot and black methinks (:E)

Chris Alston

1800 Supersprintid=green> - Loud and Proud teeth.gif ...well it only sounds fast officer blush.gif

Brooklands aeroscreens for that real open top motoring feeling eek.gif

Edited by - C7CAT on 27 May 2002 15:47:18

SERIOUS ANSWER WARNINGid=red>

It is enticing to get into the engine upgrade business, but it is a fairly pointless exercise. With engines, you only ever get more . There isn't such a thing as better that isn't the same as more. There is far more pleasure to be had from getting the chassis to cooperate and £1000-2000 goes a long way on chassis tweaks.

Your current set up could stand some improved gear ratios and then a careful look at what is going on at each corner.

Thank you Peter for a SERIOUS answer!! (Though Arnies answer is probably relevant, especially with those cracking 'Point' meals! smile.gif

Ok - gear ratios: With our use of the car Peter, what should we do here. Is it true to say that a 6 spd 'box is not the way to go for us, but a longer ratio for 1st with the existing box ( I think Paul Jacobs was trying to get this done).

What about chassis? Adjustable ride height etc?

It won't be economically reasonable to upgrade to a six speed box, so the traditional route is to get improved internals for your five speed.

The adjustable platforms are a gateway to the world of suspension tweaks. If you have standard factory suspension settings the front end will be too soft which can be cured with stiffer springs and/or a fatter ARB. No need to go super-fat or super-stiff, just incrementally a bit stiffer than where you are at the moment.

eek.gifPeter the Arnie Webb wannabeeek.gifid=red>

Hi Angus and PC, yes you're right about the longer 1st gear, perhaps not so satisfying as snicking up and down the 6 speed box, with only a 500 rpm rev drop between gears, but so much cheaper and more relaxing for M'way cruising. I've had mine done by Brian Hill in the past, but he seems to be having some personal family problems at the moment and is behind with his workload, I hear that Phil Stewart at Road and Race Transmissions is good - Arnie?

PC is absolutely right about the suspension, though I would venture to suggest that instead of paying the exorbitant price that Caterham want for their beautifully crafted anodised adjustable spring seats, you have a look around for replacement dampers with adjustable spring seats built in, as well as instant adjustment for the damping. I've gone down the AVO route, but there are now several othe makes available at what look like reasonable prices. How about an adjustable Juno a/r bar too?

So this is it then;

New adjustable dampers all round with stiffer front springs [say 200lbs, Juno a/r bar, and a longer first gear on the standard 5 speed box, this little lot should be within your budget and give a usefull amount of chassis feel to the car.

How does it sound?

Paul,

Quick question - what benefit does a longer first gear provide?

My guess is that it turns first from being a 'pulling away quickly but having to change up almost straightaway' gear, into something a bit more useful for tight corners when second would drop the revs too low, and the normal first is probably too low to be of any use (and a pig to engage). But this is just a guess...

I ask, because I'd like to upgrade to a six speed box but know, in my heart of hearts, that it's too expensive. So Angus's question is rather pertinent...

Ta,

Christian

Hmm, yes, I seem to remember one of PCs' learned discourses on gear ratios too, not so long ago!

Yes Christian, you've hit the nail on the head, because the Seven is so light and never pulls caravans up a 1-4 hill, the standard ratio that Ford so painstakingly worked out is all but useless for our cars, so just changing the first gear ratio makes a huge difference to the car at lower speeds, and because the car is so light, it doesn't mean very much heavy clutch slipping in traffic. The rest of the ratios stay the same, and in my opinion, are great if the car is used for mainly road and especially longer distance cruising work.

This is a hotly debated topic, and it really depends on what you want to use the car for, and what engine it's got and the state of tune too.

Edited by - Paul Jacobs on 29 May 2002 09:27:30

I have been entirely consistent, so bog off and leave the physics and engineering to experts rather than sneering like a loser - oh, you are a loser.

Christian,

You have got it spot on, as Paul describes.

Peterid=blue>

eek.gifSecond loser, Class 5, Curborough May 2002id=red>

Edited by - Peter Carmichael on 29 May 2002 11:02:37