Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Going touring

Petrolhead

What would be a good touring tyre. Not after ultimate grip and sidelining the cr500s till I get back

So somthing thats not bad but reasonable wear. I would assume, to keep the cost doen it would be an idea to get some rear rims to replace the 9" ones?

-----My site-----

Peter,

I find Yoko 21s very good. I use them all year round, got about 6K miles from the rears (if you drive sensibly *smile* ) I've got a mix at the moment, 6x14 rims on the front with 85/60-14s and 7x13 rims on the rear with 205/60-13 which work out the same diameter as the fronts.

If you don't fancy that you can use 6x13 on the front with 185/70-13s.

OR

you can use 6x14 all round with 185/60-14, all the tyres are about the same price from George Polley.

Roy

See willfly.net for more info.

If you don't spin you ain't trying *smile*

Happiness is knowing you have just a tad too much power *wink*

DVA 1.8K R370

I use CR500's. A good all weather compromise.

What mileage are you looking at doing? Is this spirited touring?

How about A021's? Cheap and work in the wet.

Failing that, you are on to road Yoko's A539's or similar, but not as much grip.

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

nope they only go up to 14", you'll need to get a 2nd had set of 13 or 14" rims. plenty come up on BC.

BTW Polleys new site looks horrendous 😔

Roy.

See willfly.net for more info.

If you don't spin you ain't trying *smile*

Happiness is knowing you have just a tad too much power *wink*

DVA 1.8K R370

Personally I wouldn't change tyres to go touring, you put a particular tyre on a car because you like the way it performs......so why compromise just because you are touring. The only problem is if you are planning on touring for a longer distance than your chosen tyre is likely to last and you can't carry spares or they aren't available in your touring loction.

I've toured in USA and the Alps as well as around the UK, all 2500+ mile trips and I've always stuck with Yoko 48's apart from one trip on 21's where the 48's I had ordered didn't arrive in time. The 21's were not as good.....and on a number of alpine roads I found myself missing the 48's

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here

I tend to find tyres last longer when touring. Although you still have those manic blats up a mountain a lot of the driving tends to be transit between areas and issues of police speed detection normally temper the driving a little so the tyres aren't having to work so hard. You also tend not to know the roads so naturally you aren't quite as committed to those corners as you would be on your blat route close to home.

I've naver used CR500's but they seem to be a good choice for 7's......too expensive for my liking 😬

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here

Peter,

You'll be hard pushed to find a tyre with the correct dimension for the rear (9x15).

the 245/45/15 is only available in CR500, so far as any of the current owners have found.

On of the guys in Finland / Sweeden has made some changes to his wheels to enable him to use alternate tyres...