Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Help, Diff spilling oil...

Marius

Just have been around the block yesterday for a few "laps" and did some donuts on a huge empty parking place right in the middle of nowhere (I know I shouldn´t have shared that beer with Arnie..teeth.gif). When returning home (10 mins later) I realised a lot of oil on the top of my fuel cell which must have been spit out of the breather-pipe of the Diff.

Did this problem occur to anyone else yet ? I never had the Diff spilling oil out of the breather, did that really have to do with a few tight circles ???

Diff is a ZF 20% 4.11.

Marius

My ZF 3.92 diff used to chuck oil out - usual cause is overfilling. Mine was because I put the tapered breather in the wrong way around. The opening of the part that goes into the casing should face the casing, not the diff. There is a mark on the outside of it which should line up with a mark on the case.

The other cause of a diff leaking I had was a poorly seated half shaft seal.

Alex, 0.9 Liter went in, exactly after filling instructions of the manual. I can only imagine that the doughnuts ´caused this leakage and threw it out. Back plate and half-shafts seem to be fine & dry but I´ll check the breather alignment today.

Arnie, it´s all your fault ! Please delete those videos from the internet....smile.gif

Marius

When you get any speed difference across a differential it generates a lot of heat. An open differential will run at 100 degrees C. A limited slip diff, being asked to work a lot may have got your oil a lot hotter still.

If you think this is likely to happen again, run a hose from the breather into the bottom of an expansion bottle. Any oil that gets thrown out will get sucked back in when everything cools down.

eek.gifPeter the Arnie Webb wannabeeek.gifid=yellow>

Edited by - Peter Carmichael on 27 May 2002 16:30:09