Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil like discharge from Webers, advice please!

Phil P

Hi all,

The twin 40s on my xflow seem to be emitting small amounts of a brown oil like substance. It seems to be coming from the vent above the left air trumpet on each carb. I'm running a pipercross air filter & backplate and after a good run the interior of the backplate is finely covered in it and it seems to collect at the bottom of the backplate and on the underside of the carbs. The liquid is a fairly dark brown/ caramel colour.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what this is and why it is being produced - Anyone else seen this, is it normal weber behaviour?

Many thanks for your help

Phil

Thanks for your comments Peter

Still puzzles me stightly as to why the liquid should be brown in colour, I would have expected fuel vapour to be relatively colourless, as with petrol.

As it arises from when the engine is off cam, it looks like I haven't been driving fast enough!

Phil

You have a slight leak and the evaporated vapour mixing with all the other oil vapour around an XF is producing the brown stuff.

If it is not very much I would not worry about it.

You can try tightening the 4 screws under each carb or even replace those gaskets. Other causes could be fuel pump pressure overcoming the float valves = new valves or fuel pressure regulator needed esp if you have an electric fuel pump.