Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tamiya 1/12th scale Caterham 7 Red/Alloy

Gary J Milburn

For sale, Pro built Tamiya 1/12th scale Caterham 7 model.

Red nose and swept wings, alloy body.

Can be fitted with Prisoner or Minilite wheels.

Super detailed with braided brake lines, fire extinguisher, etc.

In perspex show case.

Can fit personal Number plates etc

Photos available

Offers..........

G J Milburn

Sorry Gary the link doesn't work, it just goes back to BTopenworld default.

I'd be interested to see what it would look like. When I saw the word Tamiya I immediately thought it was an RC model as opposed to a super detailed showpiece.

Good luck trying to sell it

Roy

Thanks Rod, but £60 won't tempt me to part with it, sorry.

For information, The model is not the normal Airfix/Tamiya type plastic kit, but was a special edition, with metal suspension wishbones, uprights and axle, real alloy wheels and rubber tyres etc etc, and fantastically thin alloy body panels and bonnet etc.

It is mainly screwed together with hundreds of jewellers screws.

The Kit originally cost £220, with an extra £40 for the minilites, and another £40+ for a custom case.

It has been pro built and sprayed, and is super detailed with aeroquip/kunifer brake lines etc, even the heater motor has a live and earth wire going to it.

It took about 5 or 6 times longer to build than does a real Caterham........ I've built both, and a real one is easier to build...... especially with hands the size of mine!

sensible offers still considered .....

Cheers.

GJM

I've got the same only in green and ali one and I can vouch for everything Gary says. The detail is just exquisite and the way it built up was wonderful. A dream of a kit, I built mine six years ago and put it in front of my desk along with the Jaegermeister 911 so that when I got really p1ssd off, I could look at them and remember why I was actually at work.

Got to be worth a couple of hundred (not mine, Gary's), especially as I think they stopped selling them.

Tomorrow's a good day for it!

Edited by - tiptree on 30 May 2002 20:40:41

I offered £100 for it and even that wasn't quite enough - so £60 nope.

Mind you I know how Tamiya stuff can become pretty collectable: my 1982 Radio controlled 1:10 Blazer 4x4 truck still new in box is worth over £2k now!

Darn shame this 7 doesn't have its box - then it would be well worth securing as a collectors piece, still, v.nice model though. Me too after the 'cycle wing special' as they call it with carbon wings etc to make a replica of my own car.

GOOD NEWS FOR BOX ENTHUSIASTS

I mentioned to my wife that I have had more interest from people wanting the box the model first came in, than for the model.

She said......... Youv'e still got it, it's stuck on your garage wall, and do you know what, she's right!

The box lid artwork is alive and well, and living amongst my garage pinups, so perhaps I can now have some sensible offers for both, or I'll just sell the box lid...... as obviously that is the most wanted bit!

Anyone building a new full size Caterham, please note......... Do not throw away the packaging that the kit was delivered in, you will never sell it if you do.........wierd that.........

GJM

Concur that they're top kits. Check out here and you can see that they are readily cutomisable to suit. Sadly mine has no naked woman in it. And the picture's a bit blurred.

Gary - you might get more of a bite if you were to state how much you're looking for. I know how expensive the kits are and how much time it takes to build them, but most people aren't really up for that sort of expense on a model. This is something you tend to buy to keep (how come you're selling?).

I was lucky and bought mine in Japan. Still cost a mint though.

In terms of collector value, my understanding is that this applies to unbuilt boxed kits?

I did discuss such a model with a collector at a trade fair.

I was told at the time they have been known to fetch as high as £700 at auction, fully built in a display case!

How true or realistic this is, make your own mind up.

Cheers, Andy N.

Well - I know they were £199 new and I still know a few model shops that have them in stock (including one at £150) - that was why I thought £100 was a sensible offer for a 2nd hand one without a box (originally). I'd be suprised if they were worth as much as £700 yet; on the Tamiya radio controlled collectors market you'd have to wait 20 years and have never built it (ie everything still sealed in the box or 'NIB' (new in box) as collectors refer to it), to fetch this sort of premium. The reason the boxes are so important because the Tamiya artwork is so good - I'd love an original (any original) Tamiya artwork: especially the box of the 7 static model.

good luck

I've got all 3 of the Tamiya kits, the green/ali clamshell BDR, the carbon cycle wing BDR and the JPE.

I bought the JPE from Japan and teh Carbon cycle wing from USA, both purchased via EBAY because I couldn't find them in UK. Each cost me approx £180 delivered.

There is a JPE and a clamshell BDR on EBAY at the moment.

John

Chris is your man as he does the rounds of the model shops more than me in the SE now, so best to ask him - but bagsie I have one at trade price or around £150 if he can find another and doesn't want it for himself. (I'd be interested in any 7 1:12 model: flared/cycle/JPE of the new/boxed ones)

M

Wow, with all this talk of these Tamiya kits being worth £700 to serious collectors, I can't help wondering what my still boxed and pristine unstarted BRG/Ali, Cosworth engined, flared wing kit, on Prisoner wheels is now worth?

I bought it to build one quiet winter, but just haven't had a quiet enough winter. I'm not thinking of selling it - yet, but it seems that these kits have now become currency.