Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

fia roll bar

jonsharland

I see nothing but the large diagonal section of my FIA bar in the rear view mirror. It's worst with the roof up. The only solution I've found is to fit a near side mirror, but visibility is still pretty dire with the roof up. All suggestions gratefully received.

i'm afraid my answer is going to be "don't put the roof up"! smile.gif

more seriously you could try using convex mirrors. I have some nice SPA ones (there in the DT catalogue somewhere) which are about 30 quid for a side one or doudble that for the central one (although that's flat on my car and mounted on the scuttle behind the aeroscreen)

Dave Hooper - North London

dmch2@lineone.net

Dave,

thanks for that. Alas I don't have any alternative. My seven is my only car, and when it's lashing down with rain and I'm in rush-hour traffic...

Edited by - robf on 3 Jun 2002 01:21:00

Dave , you are a rarity amongst seven owners in that it is your only car, and for that I take off my hat to you sir. In the last four years I have I have driven in the wet with the hood up on only two occasions ( excluding track days). The vis is appalling, but it is never going to get any better. Thats as good as it gets.

Deeps smile.gif

Deep down you know it makes sense.idea.gif

I've just seen the pictures of the tall FIA bar in Low Flying. Can I just ask a silly question - and check that the standard one is the bar that Caterham fit for £375?

Cheers,

Den

teeth.gif - Self portrait - still unable to remove the smile!

Slightly off topic but mentioned a few posts up is vis. with roof up. As someone else whose only car is the 7, we use it VERY occasionaly if it really is pouring and we may be staionary. If you unzip the rear screen and tuck it behind the spare wheel (if you have one) then nothing inside mists up, and vis seems fine to me. I find I can get most of the info I need through the central screen mirror - but can understand that the FIA bar dissects this view. Obviously you have to cover what is in the boot - but the normal tonneau does this fine.

Edited by - angus&tessa on 11 Jun 2002 21:25:47

Please explain FIA roll bar?

Is it to meet competition race rules?

Are they taylor fitted for hieght?

Who determins the dimensions/design?

Have you seen what they bolt to? !! Why should they be stronger that the attaching structure? (and they all fit to the same structure).

Standard fit not good enough? Then Caterham should not sell them to us users!!

I want a shiny stainless one...any 'rules' saying I can't have one? How do I get the correct (adequate) steel gauge?

Stainless is not a very clever material for a safety item.

The FIA bar is seamless tube of a thicker grade - it will stay the same shape throughout any but the most extreme impact events and will load up the chassis more evenly. The standard bar is seam welded and is likely to split besides being of rather marginal diameter/thickness.

The FIA bolts to three points on each side at the front as well as the rearward stays. The standard bar only has a single point fitting.

Rollover protection is not a required feature for a car - amazingly. I am the wrong person to talk to, because I think a rollcage is the perfect solution.

Peterid=teal>

253 BHP K-seriesteeth.gif, no gearboxbum.gifid=red>

My FIA Bar is rusty.... any way not to bother cos its in Caterham midlands at the moment and they know all about it so I'm sure it'll get fixed or something.

Buda - who was supposed to be in shetland so cancelled his trip to le mans and found out yesterday evening it had been cancelled by the client at short notice, so could have gone to le mans and now is very bitter indeed - at least the cars getting supersported (if the bits turn up - which they probably won't).

I am now waiting for my LHD FIA bar from Caterham. Probably to feed me, they were kind enough to firstly send me the specific boot cover which I ordered at the same time that the bar.It comes with black poppers ready to fit on the cover. Anyway, I think I have to wait to fit the cover until I have installed the bar.

Is there any special tip or thing not to do to fit the poppers ?

Cheers