Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

fia roll bar

jonsharland

After reading the Terrifying story on chitchat of Tom who rolled his 7 on the road.

I have the standard rollbar how good is it should I upgrade it etc and how much does an FIA one cost etc etc

Jon

Edited by - jonsharland on 27 May 2002 14:22:05

Unfortunately I cant tell you how much one costs or even if its any better as my car came with an FIA one.

What I can tell you though is that if like me you have seats with headrests and regularly take them off to put the toneneaus on you'll find them hard to get off with the seats all the way back as the bar gets in the way.

I think there is a lady who advertises on Low Flying (still waiting for my membershop to come through) who will put headrest pockets into a tonneau, so its not an insurmountable problem.

Nick

P8MRA - The green one with red wings

Jon, I too have a standard roll bar so will be interested in other answers. As to cost, advertised on the Caterham web site. To purchase yourself approx £220, or to have them fit it, including new boot cover, as the FIA bar requires different holes is £375. Not sure if this is body color though (would guess not).

Graham.

R7 GPK

Even comes with pointless gonk - a former attempt to emulate the fat one. On second thoughts I will remove and treasure the gonk, seeing as it was a gift.

The price with boot cover will have to see me fit to replace the boot cover with one suitable for the race cage. I haven't done the research yet to know whether a standard boot cover will do, because the race one comes with an integral one-sided tonneau which wouldn't suit my use of the car.

Peterid=blue>

eek.gifSecond loser, Class 5, Curborough May 2002id=red>

Edited by - Peter Carmichael on 27 May 2002 18:51:04

I'll also have one for sale in the not too vastly distant future. I want a roll cage like Peter's! I think the caterham website reckons 220 as mentioned above. an FIA boot cover is 45 quid i think.

Peter - I forgot to look - what sort of boot cover is needed to go with your cage? FIA/Normal or a special jobby?

Dave Hooper - North London

dmch2@lineone.net

Well how much does anyone want for an FIA then please? I've been looking for one for some time and can't afford the Caterham price. E-mail me with details of price, where and condition please!

Still can't figure why Caterham don't make it standard fit anyway. (Well I can figure really!!)

Tomorrow's a good day for it!

I'll let you know as soon as I know how my rebuild is going to pan out. I'm currently looking at what i can sacrifice to get the cage and the stack dash. I think I'm going to do without carbon wings and race rear brakes which means I should know in a few weeks.

Drop me a mail if I forget to tell you! smile.gif

Dave Hooper - North London

dmch2@lineone.net

This may be relevant to Tiptree & Nifty given their location....I bought mine from Hyperion second hand for £150 and had them fit it....always worth calling the race shops as they have customers offloading these in favour of full cages. ..my new car has an FIA bar, which comes in handy for pushing the car to the side of the road when you break down...

I think they now fit the considerably more substantial R500 rollbar to all new cars. THis looks better than the old bendy straw specification! FIA rollbars I believe are heavier and restrict rearward vision (I know not a major consideration) this is probably why they are not standard. I would imagine they would cost more to produce as well so if they included it the price would go up?

My 7 has the high visibility weather gear fitted and a tonneau cover.

If I had a FIA bar fitted, can I continue to use the same weather gear etc, or will the roof sticks/roof not go over the higher FIA bar?

Cheers,

Den

teeth.gif - Self portrait - still unable to remove the smile!

Don't just treat the FIA bar as the be all and end all. Check the height above the head. If you're going on track, check the clearance above the helmet. It's no good having a strong roll bar which doesn't provide protection. Many people are not adequately covered by the FIA bar - they are too tall.

Has anyone solved the rear vision problem? I have the tall FIA bar and the rearward vision is terrible. I've thought of moving the mirror leftwards. Has anyone tried this?

Edited by - PeterS on 29 May 2002 11:49:20

Den

My High vis hood fits over the FIA bar, the hoops work as intended but the bar does in fact touch the hood.

I think the degree of dificulty encountered has a lot to do with the positioning of the poppers, I never had a big problem with the standard bar getting the hood up. People who do may have a bigger problem with an FIA bar.

Nick

Rear vision with the FIA bar is all about height of the driver. I must be a short arse as I can see fine with the rear view mirror in its usual position.

I have his vis weather gear, and it all fits.

Live axle car though!!

Thanks for the suggestion, Alex. Not sure that convex mirror is the right solution though. My problem is that I'm staring at the diagonal strut. Unless I've got an artic sitting on my tail, I lose visibility of the vehicle behind. I wondered if moving the mirror a few inches to the left on the windscreen would mean that I had a view over the diagonal bar again. I'm not sure how to break the current bond onto the windscreen, and how to re-adhere the mirror afterwards. Previous attempts on a Seven windscreen ended up with the mirror falling off, regularly.

Casbar you obviously have the advantage over me in the height department.

Use a hot air gun to remove the current sticky. Then re-apply with sticky pads, which you can get from Halfords or some motor factors. As long as you clean the area with meths or something, they should stick fine. I did mine 4 years ago, when I changed my windscreen, and its still ok