Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Dry stump tank location/height

rgrigsby

Brent.

I sincerely hope that your remark ( I have spoken to people who actually know what they are talking about) does not imply in any way that I do not know what I am talking about ?

Instead of talking in riddles why not tell all you know about your problems with the use of the Raceline wet sump pan and specifically how the sump pan caused you to loose oil pressure on a straight road?

What is your engine building experience?

Rob

Edited by - Rob Walker on 1 May 2008 23:07:47

I like the way the assumption is made that we are all numpties *rolleyes* 😔

What was the problem you found with the actual pan then Brent ?

mail me off line if you prefer but I am genuinely interested in what the problem was for obvious reasons and hence why my setup is OK.

Dave

here is C7 TOP

Taffia rear gunner

I sincerely hope that your remark (I have spoken to people who actually know what they are talking about) does not imply in any way that I do not know what I am talking about?

Well as it happens I am not only implying that, I am categorically stating it!

How can you possibly know what you are talking about with regards to my engines or the others I have first hand knowledge of with the same problem? You have not seen or worked on my engines nor those who have suffered similar problems unless I am very much mistaken.

I am not talking in riddles on this subject at all. I have been very careful not to go into too much detail lest it be misconstrued that I am attempting to defame Raceline. Nothing would be further from the truth as over the last few years I have championed Raceline at every opportunity and still do. I like both Peter & Chris enormously, have the utmost respect for them both and have no wish to sour that relationship which is why every time this subject has come up, I have praised these guys unstintingly.

The plain fact of the matter, whether you choose to accept it or not, is that on this particular product and in this instance they got it wrong. Now whether or not steps have been taken to remedy the problem on later sumps I have no idea. To solve a problem, first they need to understand it and I have no idea whether or not this is the case.

Equally I do know that in many other installations, particularly though not exclusively in 2L engines, the problem is not evident. There are also 2L engines with the same problem though it mainly seems to be the 2.3.

I have no problem with the fact they got it wrong on my installation and, indeed, Peter did everything in his power to rectify it but, alas, without success. For that alone, I have huge respect and admiration for him as he didn't just walk away, rather it was me who decided I could not carry on experimenting to sort it as I was fed up with continually taking out and refitting the engine, hence the definitive solution of a dry sump. After all his time, effort and expense I felt he had done enough and had no wish to impose on him further, especially as he is always very busy.

My point to you Rob is that you are wrong to state........"the Raceline sump is all you need on a Duratec"

Clearly, my experience and that of others proves otherwise. It will work, but not in every case is all I am trying to say and I am simply urging caution if choosing this route.

It is ridiculous and completely futile getting into the pointless argument of "what is your engine building experience?" I don't know your age but as it happens I was probably building engines while you were still in short trousers, however that is irrelevant here. For your information because I didn't have the time, Raceline built both my original Duratec engines!

Rather than hijack Rob G's thread any more, if you wish to continue this argument I am more than happy to do it by email. In fact I would love it.

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

2.3 DURATEC SV You know when you've been AMMO'd *eek* 😬

R470.69 😬

Dave, it is yourself who makes that assumption, not I. I'm sure you are extremely competent but like Rob, you have no experience of mine nor others problems in this area. I apologise to you if you thought I assumed you were a numpty. 😶‍🌫️

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

R470.69 😬

Brent,

I think Rob was in short trousers abotu the same time as you... having met you both.

As someone who will probably turn to a duratec in a year or threes time (when the lovely K that Rob built me reaches the end of its cheese block life) I am interested in how two people (couting DJ and RW as one! *eek* ) with good knowledge of the duratec engine have had such differing experiences with the wet sump set up.

Maybe if you guys reach a conclsusion via email on what the differences in your installs are and why one works and one doesn't you would be good enough to share it with others so we can decide which route we want to take. If a the cost and complexity (more bits to go wrong) or a dry sump can be avoided I'm all for it...

I just look very young for my years Neil. *cool*

Come along to the Phoenix meeting one night and I will run through it all with you. *thumbup*

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

R470.69 😬

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 2 May 2008 10:22:13

Sounds most odd Brent, you would assume that if any of the engines running this sump were going to be affected it would be Dave J's as its used for circuit racing on slicks *confused*

That is unless he's started driving like a big Jessie *tongue* 😬 (Somehow I doubt it *thumbup*)

So, aside from the other issue which has now been discussed away from this forum, Rob G do you want any pics of my dry sump tank install alongside the inboard suspension?

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

R470.69 😬

Can you run a dry sump tank slightly pressuresed? Maybe with a relief value going to the catch tank? I guess this is what they must do on Formula cars pulling 4+ lateral G or else the oil would just stay planted on the side of the tank *confused*