Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear Brake Guinea Pig Required.......MORE BIG BRAKE HELP!

captain chaos

Hi

As you can see from my other thread I am trying to source a replacement calipers set so that I cam have a reliable effective handbrake. Those of you with the AP big rear brakes will know that the spot caliper is as good as a chocolate fire guard apart from when you set it up for MOT day!

I've spoken to Hi-spec brakes in dartford today and they are very interested to see a 7 with such a set up. All they want is for someone to pop along, allow them to take your wheel off to inspect the current set up and take some pics.

I live in Shropshire and my car is in pieces, so, anyone in BC land prepared to help out and pop your car along?

Remember it needs to be AP Big Rear Brakes, I'm sure both the caliper for solid disc and vented disc set up's mounted from above onto the same ears so either type of disc would do.

Please reply here and I can give you the contact details.

Edited by - captain chaos on 7 May 2008 20:48:09

There's already at least two cars and soon to be three with the Hispec 2 pot + handbrake system fitted, Mike Biddle has been running it on his RST V8 with vented disks for over 2 years and I know one other person who's running it with solid disks.

I believe a lot of the Fisher/Slyva cars use the Hispec set-up as well so it's been around for a while, the caliper itself has been redesigned recently due to some SVA questions so there are two models around. Although both operate in essentially the same way.

I'm about to fit the Hispec caliper with solid disks to replace my AP Rear Big Brake setup for the same reasons as you, if you can wait a month or so you're welcome to see my car to see how well it works. By all accounts it's an OK handbrake but I'd still leave the car in gear 😳

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

I've just switched back to the standard rear brake Dedion ears, the calipers fit perfectly on those. They are already fitted on the car and didn't need any fettling or work to sort out, the ears aren't really that expensive so it seemed like the simplest approach.

I just need to finish the electrics, plumbing, interior and dash and I'll be back on the road 😳

Cheerss

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Hi

I have this set up ie AP four pots on front and the AP rears on solid discs with the (useless) spot caliper for the handbrake.

I would look at a change if it was a straight forward swap or very simple one with minimal grinding/cutting required.

Dartford is about an hour away for me so subject to agreeing/finding the time I could pop over there, I could also take some pictures and send those to start with if that was any help. You can blat mail me the contact details if you want, I will be on line for a few more hours today and then on a plane most of tomorrow on the way home from China.

Alan

PS Unless the weather is really bad I will be at Stoneleigh with the car if Hi Spec are there on Sunday

Edited by - alan carswell on 30 Apr 2008 10:36:47

OK I will try and give Roy a call on Friday when I am back in the UK and hopefully awake.

Ric - not sure what it if anything it says on the spot caliper. There is an AP box I got with the car. I will have a look when I get home. The handbrake works for about one day a year 😬 and in fact this year it never worked 😬

Alan

I have been trying to get hold of a new set of pads for mine since June 2007, I have to do the same as ric before an Mot, I even had to space the pads out with large washers last year so I could get enough grip on the discs. 🙆🏻

Airheart is the brand.

Jason.

I have the Hi specs at the rear over the same vented disc as the "Big Brake" fronts.

The handbrake works reasonably well, enough to pass an MOT anyway.

They made a huge difference in terms of overall stopping power once they were equiped with Pagids (they came with greenstuff, Yuck!)I still think I may be short of braking power at the back though, since I can still lock the fronts up all too easily, but that may instead be due to being over tyred at the front so I have to sort out that conundrum first, maybe I can find somone kind enough to lend me a pair of 13" wheels with 195 CR500's on in order to test the theory before I shell out dosh on a set of narrower front wheels and tyres.

Currently running 205's at the front.

Afraid not I had to change the rear-brake lines from the t-piece to the caliper but I've just gone back to solid lines as the caliper doesn't move so they shouldn't be a problem. In terms of handbrake cable yes I'm using the standard Caterham cable.

I'll be up at the workshop next week so I can take a few pictures if you like.

One modification I have seen is a custom set of ears on the later RST V8 car (the one that was at Autosport) that allow the caliper to mounted vertically, this means the bleed nipple is in the right place so you don't have to undo the caliper to bleed the brakes as with the AP's or the standard sierra installation.

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

A handful of us have fitted the Golf rears which are related to the original Ford items but made of Aluminium and hence lighter. They are only two pot though and won't fit all wheels due to their cooling fins. With so many tin top cars having ali rear calipers now with handbrakes, I supect its only a matter of time before a better off the shelf design is found anyway at a considerable cost saving.

I rang Caterham today..they are not prepared to divulge who was/is making the R500 set up *confused* but Tony did say that a couple of manufacturers had been approached to produce a caliper with a handbrake facility but nothing had been finalised yet. I asked when the R500 parts bin would be available and Tony predicted it was atleast a couple of months away.

Therefore, I'm going to have a look at both K8RUM's and Robs solution to decide which way I'm going.

Rob,

A few pics would be good...I don't mind adapting the lines but I did want to keep the curent hand brake cables. What Camber are the sierra ears?

Gary you can definetly get the standard ears in both -1.5 or 0.25 versions as I've had them in the past, I'm actually running -1.5 this year as the sprint tyres we are using are radials. Migh be worth a quick email to parts@caterham.co.uk to confirm but they certainly did used to exist.

Are you a centre or under dash handbrake? I'm using the standard Caterham centre hand brake cable and it fits fine on the Hispecs.

I'll sort out some pictures as soon as I'm next back in the workshop.

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

You wre right Rob, ears are available in .25deg so if they fit straight on as you say, using the std hndbrake cable, that could be the way for me to go. Darren has kindly sent some dimensions for me to look at on the wilwoods but I may be swinging towards the Hi spec because..

a) By your experience they are easier to fit

b) they follow AP pad shapes and that should provide a wider choice of pads to play with.

Gary

I'm still trying to get my head around this little problem...

I'm now in posession of the std ears. I've put them onto my D/Dion and I'm left with 40mm from the inner face of the ear (edge/face nearest my diff) and the inside disc edge. I've been looking at the Hi spec site and the drawing

http://www.hispecbrake.co.uk/calipers/SVA%20Ultralite%20HB.htm

...whilst it's not clear to me where the faces of the mounting lugs are..I'm assuming from the drawing that the caliper will bolt to the ears on the inner face mentioned above, but whereas I have 40mm, the drawing indicates 33mm from what I can make out. Am I misreading this or has anyone out there is BC land with this set up prepared to whip their wheel off and confirm exactly what the offset is. I don't want to get them and then have to muck about getting things like ears machined. Small spacers yes, ears No!

I keep hearing these fit onto std ears but I'm just not seeing it *confused*

I need help!

PS Thanks to Rob and Darren who have supplied info so far *thumbup*