Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Plastic/rubber in petrol tank

Adrian Williams

Adrian

I think I would be inclined to remove it sooner rather than later rather than risk the consequences, for example it could result in the engine suddenly running lean at peak revs could cause all sorts of damage *eek* let alone letting Simon beat you at a sprint in Wales 😬

As a gentleman of leisure you have plenty of spare time on your hands and you could also calibrate the fuel gauge at the same time.

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

• Support Team

Adrian - could you not just remove the sender (top of the tank) and fish it out through that hole? I can't remember how big the hole is but it might be OK. Otherwise drain the tank, remove the pump and fish it out from there - the hole the pump sits in is plenty big enough to get your hand in and there is a gap between that side of the pump and the side of the car. Best to get a new pump gasket and just be very careful when refitting not to distort it but otherwise there shold be no problem sealing it.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

IMO, drain fuel, jack car up on the nearside, wobble it about so the plastic bit falls over to the right, take fuel cap tube off (on RHS of tank), go in with something that will pluck the plastic out.

Pump but is baffled so plastic won't be in there.

If the bugger fell in through the filler neck, it'll be inside the baffled area where the fuel pump is. You won't be able to access it through the sender hole.

With determination and the proper tools, you may be able to fish it out with the filler neck removed. I recovered the little yellow cap off of a petrol tin this way.

-Bob

94 HPC VX Evo III

I wouldnt bother - any attempt to gain entry via the fuel pump panel will quite possibly comprimise the seal and thats a right buggar once it distorts .

The plastic funnel will have to pass the fuel pump intank filter and the rover external filter and the injector baskets.

I would leave it untill you reach the point where the tank/pump needs to be removed and then do it .

here is C7 TOP

Taffia rear gunner

Thanks Bob and Dave, I'm going to see if I can fish it out via the filler hole but suspect that will fail. I'll then probably leave it until next winter but either way I'll leave the pump where it is, with the tank out of the car I can just tip it upside down and get it out that way.

Adrian