Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Settin up adjustable platforms without scales

thinfourth

Is there a method for setting up a new set of adjustable platform shocks without the use of corner wieght scales as i don't have any and not too sure if i can get access to a set.

Or do i just measure the spring length on the old ones and try to get the same lengths on the new ones?

Autotesting in Scotland tires provided by Skip motorsport services

(Well we pull them out of skips)

A quick and easy way is

1. Convince somebody of the same weight as you to sit in the drivers seat.

2. Using small spirit level set both lower wishbones up to horizontal.

3. Jack up rear to 15mm above level of front - I measure just infront of the front a-frame mounts and at the rear and the front lower wishbone mounts.

Takes about an 45 mins, isn't scientific but last time I did it and took the car for flat flooring it was spot on *thumbup*

Paul M

Measure the ride heights at all 4 corners before removing the old suspension. Fit the new suspension to the measurements. If you do it carefully it won't be far out from the previous measurements. This at least gives you a good place to start. Corner weighting can be done with 8 bathroom scales with a car as light as a Caterham.............or try PC's plank of wood arrangement.

Personally I favour the simple method of

Set ride height beneath the sump - normally around 70/75mm with a K series / duratec

or

set the front wishbones so that they are level with the ground like = -----o------

(you may not achieve paralell wishbone and 75mm under the sump if you are running low profile 13" wheels & tyres)

then count the number of visble threads on the front dampers and equalise the number of threads on both sides.

Then set the rear with 18 > 25 mm rake (18mm if your less then 85Kg , 25mm if your 85kg + ). Measure the front height at the underside of the chassis adjacent to the front tyre wall, and the rear height at the front lower corner of the rear wheel arch/wing - try and find a level section of floor for this.

Then count the number of visible threads on the rear dampers and equalise the number visible on both sides.

The add 4 threads to the drivers side if your less then 85Kg and add 6 threads if you are more then 85Kg . When I say add threads, the aim is to raise the height of the drivers side rear corner to account for the lump of lard behind the steering wheel *wink*

An thats it *cool*

I bet a pint (or a glass of Pinot) that this will put you about right without the use of scales *biggrin* *thumbup* *smokin*

here is C7 TOP

Taffia rear gunner

• 1 month later...

With the 4/6 threads method what would you do if setting the car up for driver plus half a passenger as the other half comes along alot

Autotesting in Scotland tires provided by Skip motorsport services

(Well we pull them out of skips)