Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil consumption?

Baz Hemsley

Arrowstar built 1700 xflow 132bhp measured at wheels. Approx. 6000 miles since build, and running on Comma 5-40 SYNER-G. Have burnt 3 ltrs. oil in 2000 miles. Is this to be exspected, or should I change to a thicker oil? This stuff is like water. *smokin* That,s me smoking not the 7.

Sounds like an engine issue, i had the same but got CC to deal with it. And I use the halfords purple can which is 15w/40 Part Synthetic this one here.

However it is usal for xflows to burn a bit more oil than they should do but not that much - and since wightblat I am making sure that I take a spare litre with me when I go off on a long trip (I got a little low and had difficulty in finding some).

Hi Baz,

Just had my xflow rebuilt by Cougar Engineering and Nigel Keats there wouldn't put anything other than Valvoline VR1 20/50 (mineral) in it. He should know as he preps a lot of cars for the Midlands hill climbing community and has built dozens of xflows over the years; many of the competitors in the top spots use his engines.

I had high oil consumption like yours and we comp tested and found compression low in one cylinder. Off came the head to reveal a) cracked valve and b) broken piston ring. Best precautionary move I ever did.

McB