Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Weight saving, without going too mad

Shad

I've just been busy weighing my car, partly to see how the balance is but mostly to see what the total is.

FL: 145kg

FR: 115kg

RR: 139kg

RL: 125kg

...giving me a total of 525kg with just under quarter of a tank of fuel and no driver. When I'm in the car the front end balances out a bit but front left and rear right still take the most weight. Unfortunately I've not got adjustable suspension yet so I can't do anything about it for the time being, but I would assume that if the figures stay similar once the rake is ok, I would either lower the FR or raise the RL? That's how I've done it in the past anyway!

Anyway, it got me thinking. I currently have a RiF carbon screen, carbon half doors, no heater and no spare wheel/carrier. I'm aware the standard leather seats are heavy, but I find them too comfortable to life without. The obvious next step to saving some weight would be more carbon panels, but are they worth the £/kg saving? Are there more creative ways to save a few kgs that I've not thought of? I've already ditched the screen wash tank!

Comments on a postcard please... *smile*

Simon

niknak.org

Not sure what you mean Michael, this is the first time I've weighed my car?

Didn't know about the bell housings... mine looks to be made of the same material as the sump, easiest way to tell is with a magnet I'd have thought? It's a 1.6 K and a 6-speed.

Grubbster, I only weigh 65kg as it is, if I ate Special K I'd vanish into thin air!! 😬

Simon

niknak.org

Edited by - Shad on 27 Apr 2008 17:37:24

• Area Representative
I'm aware the standard leather seats are heavy, but I find them too comfortable to life without

A two pack polyurethane foam seat will weigh less that a carbon and kevlar Tillet.

I find my foam seat more comfortable than my leather seat.

Six speed K is most likely to already have an alloy bell housing.

Have you got rubber mats?

Have you removed the windscreen wiper motor?

Do you have a standard Banner battery? a gell battery would be lighter

.....carbon panels, but are they worth the £/kg saving?

I think you'd see more benefit from fitting adjustable platforms and sorting out those corner weights.

Welcome to my world Shad!

The truth is that you've got to be a bit mad I think - well focussed at the very least.

What can you throw away - simple as that to start.

If you can save lots of small - even seemingly insignificant amounts - you will quickly make progress even before you have to buy any really expensive new things. They will come for sure but not straight away *wink*

*thumbup*

Thanks chaps *smile*

The next thing I'm going to invest in is either LSD or adjustable dampers, I guess the latter would be better seeing as I'm fairly happy to live without LSD for a little longer, and having corner weighted my last car I know the value of decent adjustment. Plus my ride height seems to be when compared to other 7s. Donuts will have to wait!

Rubber mats can go, battery can be changed and the wiper motor... I had a look when I changed to the aero and it looked quite tightly plumbed in? I'll have a search to see if it's practical to 'whip out'.

What's the lightest radiator going? Mine has a weep near the o/s bottom corner, no point in replacing it with a heavier item!

Simon

niknak.org

Seats make quite a difference re weight

Also get rid of wiper motor, washer bottle

Also if your running aero that get rid of the hood stays.

Then its gets expensive, lighter alloys, carbon Nose and wings

But as someone has already said get the weight split over the front equal when your sitting in the car

-----My site-----