Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Limited Slip Diff pros and cons

Tom White

A correctly set one is all pros. The ZF plate type can make the car unsersteer as they are set for a Ford Sierra rather than a car less than half the weight. Phil Stewart has a fix for this. The diff that I have - AP Suretrak - works out what to do on the basis of some devious and inexplicable mechanism - seems to get it right most of the time.

An LSD will generally give you less easily determined grip mid-corner, and the ability to get the power down better on the exit.

On wet roads with tyres such as A008's or ACB10's the std ZF plate diff makes for a very twitchy rear end. People have been known to have the car jump onto the pavement so great the snap oversteer can be - especialy when the plates are bedding in! ( I kid you not, I did it once!)

Phils ramp and load modes make the plate type far more usable in less tan ideal conditions.

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM siteid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Edited by - fat arnie on 26 May 2002 23:48:44

Thank you all.

I would be interested to know a few more details of Phil Stewarts modifications

(ramp and load sounds interesting but I am not sure what it means).

Does he have an E-mail address?

P.S I am trying to keep the car out of ploughed fields at the moment (where possible),but thanks for the tip.

10 years ago it would have been a Ford-off-the-shelf Sierra part, mechanical rather than viscous, I've no idea what Sierra would have been fitted with an LSD.

You can tell if it's this type by jacking the rear wheels off the ground, putting the car in gear, and trying to turn one of the wheels. If it won't go round then you have a type of mechanical LSD.

Paul