Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

o/t Troublesome lawn mower

Mark Adderley

Frustrating morning!

My lawn mower is driving me to dispair - starts first thing ok but as soon as I switch off the engine to remove the grass collector (to avoid chopped digits!) it's an absolute pig to re-start. I've tried removing the plug, cleaning it & turning the engine over several times to make sure it's not flooded, but when it finally starts up it sounds lumpy. As soon as you engage the clutch and it has to cope with the addition stress of chopping grass, it comes to a stop *mad*

Plug is clean and new, ditto the air filter. Can anyone offer any tips?

Cheers

Mark

1400 SS - 53k........ and counting again!!

A couple of things

Is the led lit on the Emerald *tongue*

Are you getting a healthy blue spark ?

Is the engine getting sufficient fuel. IE tank breather & fuel filter clear. Easy one to check.

Good fuel & not last years stuff.

Running lean does'nt in my experience cause lumpy running. That said if it's getting insufficient fuel it could cause hunting but that's not the same as sounding lumpy.

Float needle in carb is'nt sticking & causing flooding.

If something is causing it to run rich removing the air filter & starting using full throttle is normally easier. I'm not recommending you run it in this condition it's simply to assist diagnosis.

Dave.

Is the led lit on the Emerald

😬

Thanks for all the help, gardenblatters! Interesting day.........

Took the carb off and stripped it down - seemed really clean. Doesn't appear to have a fuel filter, but air filter was spotless.

So, having stipped and reassembled, imagine my delight as it roared into life after 3 attempts *smile* Rushed out to the garden and mowed like a demon non-stop - didn't miss abeat in 15mins.

Bought it back to the garage afterwards and proudly called Mrs A over to demonstrate what a clever chap I'd been. Turned it off, tried to restart..............nothing. Bu**er!

Think I might have to go for a little blat and have another think!

Thanks for all the advice *smile*

Mark

Mine does something similar so I started leaving the engine idling while emptying the grass box but didn't fancy continuing to do that as it can take a while to get from the front of the house down to the end of the rear garden and back again.

Like you, I have stripped the carburettor, checked the float doesn't have any holes in it, checked the float valve seals ok, cleaned the filter, cleaned the plug, replaced HT lead etc, etc, etc. Still it refused to start after I turned it off when warm and I eventually came to the conclusion it was flooding somehow while I was away emptying the grass box.

So now, I turn the fuel tap off at the start of the last run before stopping the engine and wonder of wonders, it will now restart first time when I return. So I then turn the tap back on only after starting the engine and carry on mowing until repeating the same palaver next time.

If fuel is overfilling the float chamber that says to me that the float valve isn't sealing properly or the float isn't coming up to cut the supply off but having checked it, everything appeared to be ok and stopping the fuel from continuing to flow in. *confused* Hey ho, I'll just carry on like this until I need to replace the mower as provided you remember to do it, it isn't too much hassle. Give that a go and see if it works for you as well. *thumbup*

I thought Honda engines were supposed to be reliable. ☹️

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

2.3 DURATEC SV You know when you've been AMMO'd *eek* 😬

R470.69 😬

Hi Brett

Unfortunetly mine doesn't have a fuel tap, which is a shame, because I could live with your option!

If I want to use the grass collector, I nned to turn the engine off because the blades continue to spin when the engine is on (the clutch I referred to previously relates to the drive to the wheels, not to the blades).

Dissapointed to hear you have a Honda - that's what I was thinking of getting next!

Oh well, don't ahve to worry about it now for a couple of weeks!

Cheers

Mark

Could you not put an inline tap in the fuel supply maybe? Or as a last resort, is there a plastic fuel line you could perhaps put a brake line pinch tool on to cut the fuel flow?

Might at least prove a point on where the problem lies. *thumbup*

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

2.3 DURATEC SV You know when you've been AMMO'd *eek* 😬

R470.69 😬