Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

How good are MK 7's?

Martin S.

Locost building lot seem to speak very highly of them . . .. They're supposedly a lot better than a Robin Hood.

If this one's got a pukka, fresh SBD 250 motor, and running gear of equal quality, £8.5K seems a good buy. If it's a tired old thing, it could soak up a load of money though.

Talking about MKs in the same breath as RHs

is like comparing A "seven" with a Westfield

and neither of those conversations are suitable for this forum *thumbup* 😬

And for your info MK don't make a 7 they make an Indy

The only manufacturer who make a "seven" [and I refer to minamalistic 2 seater sports cars ]is Caterham

Check with Patents reg if you want to confirm.

The factory will slap a court action on anyone branding a small 2 seater sports car as a seven

We may refer in our ignorance to them all as sevens BUT they are in fact " Cars in the spirit of Chapmans seven" 😬 *wink* *smile* *biggrin* *thumbup*

So be very careful Do not put the clubs relationship with the factory in any jepordy by posting references here.

jj

N.I. L7C AR 🙆🏻

Membership No.3927.

240BHP 1900cc K Series 40th Anniversary

Edited by - Johnty Lyons on 25 Apr 2008 23:18:21

Wonder if MK are losing sleep at the moment then and hoping Mr Ali's lawyers cannot use the tinternet to read on their website:

"A sierra based lotus seven styled kit with independent suspension. main features are a tubular triangulated chassis with double unequal length wishbones front an rear giving superb handling."

To reply to the op I have seen some very rapid ones on track (As quick as a dax turbo busa at brands) but also the odd carp ones so I imagine like all real kit cars it comes down to who builds and personally develops the thing.( and drives them)

To me they look a bit bloated in a westfield kinda way but they are miles ahead of a Robin Hood but perhaps not quite as good as a striker or indeed a westy. All IMHO of course.

Damn cheap to buy though but if I could afford a rolex I wouldn't wear a fake one no matter how well it kept the time.

If I couldn't afford a caterham I would be tempted and indeed was 20 years ago when I did buy a striker but still aspired to the real deal one day. The fake rolex I had did infact keep better time than a real one but not for very long.

In all I don't think Mr A need worry about us mentioning them on here unless he plans a change of market by dropping the s3, sourcing a supply of cheap s/h pinto lumps and selling all future csr's at a quarter of the current price with a weld it yourself chassis and a free sierra.

Will

PS no offence to any seven inspired cars intended. I waive to them all and atoms and radicals and any other "silly cars" as swimbo calls them.

Jeeeeeez Johnty I was only asking a question, my most humble apologies if I dared to offend........better watch my p's n q's in future!

Thanks for the useful info anyway, I will feed in back to my friend and in particular make sure he doesn't even dare to think of it as a 7 for risk of being locked up and having the key thown away *tongue*

Class 4 Zetec *cool*....there at last 😬 😬 😬

Have a look at Locostbuilders.co.uk There's a seperate area for MK Indys.

They're supposedly a lot better than a Robin Hood.

If this one's got a pukka, fresh SBD 250 motor, and running gear of equal quality, £8.5K seems a good buy. If it's a tired old thing, it could soak up a load of money though.

Sound advice.

Edited by - MattF on 26 Apr 2008 12:37:42

Guys i'm not trying to be a trouble maker. 😶‍🌫️

BUT

There was a threatened court action by Caterham against "The Sevens List" which as some of you are aware is a mailing list forum which discusses all cars built in the spirit of ACBs famous Lotus seven.

And that action was for use of the name Seven or se7en or 7 as refers to any other car than a Caterham. So as the official club and connected with factory lets keep ourselves clean and clear on this..... Our relationship with the factory is a fragile one but a worthwile one lets NOT upset the applecart They got upset about our conversation about Porshe and The Atom. *nono*

Please remember, you are responsible for what you post. Don't jeopardise BlatChat

Sorry if i seem to be coming on strong BUT I've personal experience of this.

Just let the thread die.

jj

N.I. L7C AR 🙆🏻

Membership No.3927.

240BHP 1900cc K Series 40th Anniversary

Edited by - Johnty Lyons on 26 Apr 2008 13:01:14

Utter madness !

Are you seriously stating that discussion of other se7ens and other marques are not to be discussed on our club forum ?

This self appointed modulation status Jonty is a step to far for the sake of reasonable adult forum topic discussion and a sad state of affairs if this is the future of blatchat ?

"Caterham Cars Sues Owner's Club For Mentioning Other Makes" - I don't think even Ansar "shoot myself in the foot" Ali would think it was a good idea to have a headline like that 😬

(I do know a little of the story of the pain that Se7ens.net went through, so I'm inclined to excuse Johnty)

I know the incident which JJ is talking about........

BUT

I don't think we should be fueling that sort of nonsenses......if I want to refer to a Locost as a se7en I will do......it has become a generic term for this type of car.......just like hoover has for vacuum cleaners.

If the club aren't happy with that then the "moderators" can take action.....

Geeting back to the topic the MK is a pretty well sorted locost package, but as with all locost builds it will very much depend on the person who built it.......I have seen some fantastic examples but also some which haven't been quite so good. You have to look at each one individually and it should become pretty clear very quickly whether it is a good example or not.

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here

Was at Bruntingthorpe on a track day yesterday...plenty of MK's there....only one of them was quick enough (maybe driver ability too!) to keep up with my modest seven. They had R1 engines and all sorts...I took great pleasure in showing them why I bought the real thing. I only paid £8.5k for mine four years ago (have spent money making it better mind but not anything that would break the bank). Actually, I had great pleasure in overtaking a load of Porsches yesterday too. Even a 996 GT3! I didn't manage to have a chance to play with the GT3 RS....awsome car! A few Westies were annoyed at my 'real' seven too 😬

Always a pleasure lads!

I must say that as my standards improve, my car unleashes more ability (if you see what I mean)...all I would like now is better brakes!

No-one came and asked 'what's in it mate'....Shame as I would have loved to have said 'A rover engine'!

So, maybe 8.5k seems cheap but anything than seems cheap usually is. I know caterhams command a premuim but there is a reason for that. Plus strikers are, IMO, a better car (I owned one) and it is not just about the BHP. Power is nothing without control!

couple of lads down here have just got BEC Indys

I have not been in one yet but they seem to be very good value - We all went to Goodwood not so long ago but they struggled with the noise & then one broke terminally - its now fixed and the next outing is Brands on 3/7 - we will then see what the handling is like.

Trackdays arent really a great place to compare performance of cars, so much is down to the driver, their skill and their committment.

I've seen fiestas passing porsches on trackdays, but dont for a minute think that they are quicker, more that the bloke in the 1000quid fiesta is prepared to take far, far more risks, than the guy in his '08 boxster.