Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Headlight masking for European travel

Paul Richards

• Area Representative

Some of the LADS are off to the Pyrenees in a couple of weeks time. We need to mask off the headlights for travel on the Continent. Anybody got a template for what we need to do with our black insulation tape?

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Another vote for the can't be bothered / never been stopped in 10 yrs of mainland travelling.

What you really need to do is educate any passengers in overtaking ability of a seven, and the quick release/doing back up of seatbelts at toll booths for them to reach the person at the window - 'cos most of 'em seem to suddenly get very short arms when a UK plated silly car rolls up.

Bri

*confused*I just just rotate the headlight bowls on the 7. On the tintop I usually drive across at silly o clock in the morning and since very few of the autoroutes are lit - to avoid blinding/being constantly flashed by oncoming vehicles I use stick ons

The difference in France, is that the Gendarmes will stop you, especially near the pyrenees.... If you don't have beam benders on, you'll get a fine.

Inthe UK, the police just don't seem that bothered, or don't have such a prescence on the road.

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

Les Gendarmes do tend to have purges on this sort of thing. It can be very expensive if they do pick on you, for the sake of a stick on kit from Halfords for £6.99 (see here). Black tape may fall off through the heat. The right stuff is reflective on the back and deflects bits of the beam too. Only yesterday I threw out the positioning leaflet from such a kit *rolleyes*. Basically a wedge of cheese shape deflector with the lower edge stuck along the diagonal line below the centre of the lens (I recall).

7 related photos